Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Couple of questions about the 4th at Florence

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions about the 4th at Florence

Thats funny though because I would have to say my pipe is one of the quietest pipes Ive heard on the bigger 4strokes out there. I seriously dont think Im that far off from the noise limits. Hell my friends 400ex with an e-series slip on is quite abit louder than mine and dirtwheels said that the yoshi on the Z was around 93 db and my dad has that and my bike is a tiny bit louder than his, if that.

Old 07-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

Read the dirtwheels test on raptor pipes...the CT pipe is in there. Not sure which method they used.
Again...read what I said about testing methods.... There are several differant methods !!Using the "sounds louder method" can be decieving too because of rpm differences,distance and angles from the exhaust etc.. and as someone else stated the sound can deflect and be louder. The nfs offer courtesy checks as do some of the camp hosts. That way you can get a good idea of where you are at.

Old 07-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well i'll give them hell if they wanta test me.... if i haven't jabbed the throttle (just been warming up or putting around) then i haven't broke ANY LAWS! so they can suck my &#*$ and i'll tell them that.... it's like having a car that does 140, do i get a ticket just because it does 140? NO, you have to catch me going over the posted speed limit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So if they wanta push the throttle on my bike and make it break the limit then try and write me a ticket there in for a big surprise, their the ones getting the ticket. But actually I've met some really cool cops out there, they just wanted to watch everyone out at comp race just like everyone else. it's the freaking forest service guys that are a #^@%$.....

Old 07-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

SANDMAN430 are the 8 paddles faster up comp then the 10 paddles? i've only had one DS beat me that had ALOT of $$$ in it, other then that no other 4 stroke has.... i just bought 22X11X8 10 paddles X-Treme grip haulers, not shure if their any better then my 20s or not yet..... still have to run them against my friends bike so i have somthing to compare them to.....

Old 07-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Raptorron, I am with you man. I don't want to see any of our riding areas get smaller but you have to admit that the sound limit is pretty friggin low. Also, why do they keep taking parts of the riding areas to create sound buffers? Why not restrict urban growth and keep them from building houses any closer? Btw, those are rhetorical questions that need no answering. I know why I'm just trying to point out that we get screwed every time. There is no compromise, we just bend over and let them stick it to us. Honestly, how often can you hear a quad out in the dunes from say Discovery Point at Winchester? Or how about in spinreel campground? There are always people ripping up spinreel hill and you don't hear them. Sure the ATV rental place gets an earful but they're 300yrds away max and there's nothing inbetween. Move to the left some and put some trees and a little sand inbetween and you only hear the quads that haul-*** up the sand access rd. Go to South Jetty at Florence and see how quite a bike gets once it's over the hill a little ways. My point is it doesn't take much of a buffer to make a big difference on sound. Having a house close to a riding area and expecting to never have to hear a bike is about as reasonable as living next to a sports stadium and expecting to not have to listen to a cheering crowd. The fans are there to have a good time and enjoy themself, how would they feel if they couldn't cheer any louder than 65 dbl because there were houses close that were complaining about the noise? And if they refused the state was going to create a buffer zone that consisted of the 20 outside rows of seats so people wouldn't have to listen to them.

A compromise in our situation would be to create a larger buffer zone around the perimiter of say Winchester/Spinreel but open up the stretch of dunes inbetween the two to make up for what they took. Yeah, I know. Fat chance but it would be nice instead of just losing more area to ride.

Ok, starting to get agitated about this whole deal. Time to go do something else before I offend anyone.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

ugintel lets meet this weekend and we can compare my friends will be there with there raptors and they have several different tires to compare to. we should have our honda 400 to run you might get a kick out of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

I totally agree with treeshot and ugintel. Why do people move so cose to the dunes if they dont wanna hear quads? Sorry but the dunes where there first so live with it. If their going to have a sound limit why dont they make it reasonable. Would it do anything if we got a petition and sent it to the forest service dicks and told them how unreasonable their limit is? Arent they out at the dunes enough to know that most 4strokes are louder than 93 db and not many people can get under that mark? I personally think it sucks @$$ ! Oregon would be so much nicer to ride at without that limit or if it was higher.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer

I think I talked to you Sandman down at comp on Memorial day weekend... I rode up to you and asked you what you had done to that bike to make it so quick. Cause your DS was spanking me. And you told me you had done the cam and stuff.. And you said something about your wifes bike too... Remember me? LOL :-P

-David
2001 Raptor

Old 07-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

well i meet a lot of people at comp i find that to be one of the fun parts feel like i make a lot of friends that way. i meet a few raptors that weekend and several hondas. are you going down for the fourth? well if so lets meet up again.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Nope bike is down with the good old 01 problem. No Second gear... It is at the dealer and will be torn apart tomorrow. Thank god for extended warrenty's.(SP?) Bike is down until at least the middle of July. Planning on showing up the saturday of Sand Fest at winchester for sure.

David

Quick Reply: Couple of questions about the 4th at Florence