Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Roosters -V- Sand Stars

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roosters -V- Sand Stars

I was able to compare the Maxxis Rooster Pro Wedge with the ITP Sand Star. Both have the Vshape paddle (most of you know that already) and have their own custom design. Maxxis has a sharp V, like a tight check mark and has small grooves across the main body of tire. According to Maxxis, this tire was designed for soft sand. Now the ITP has more of a lazy V shape. Gives you more of a straight hook up and with those added “mini” paddles between each main paddle, it almost act like a straight paddle. I have not compare them with a straight paddle, so this is just my opinion. If you stand them up to each other, their about the same height from a flat surface to the top of the paddle. Now the Rooster has a bigger sidewall and a wider square stance with around ¾ inch paddle. The paddles are firm with little flex. The Sand Star has less sidewall and a rounder stance with around an inch paddle. Its paddles are moderate firm with moderate flex. They are both 20x11x10 mounted on ITP’s. Now for traction, the Rooster, I feel has a little better than stock. It may just seem like it though. Their not a drag or steep hill climbing paddle. More for the recreational duner. The Sand Stars have excellent traction. Last Monday, myself and a friend went to spinreel. He bought the new Sand Stars. He rode for three hours. I was able to ride with them on his KFX. His quad is bone stock. I was able to start at the base of a steep hill and climb it with no problem. So after lunch, I put them on my KFX (signature line for mods). Then did the same process of high climbing. I ripe up the hill like nothing. Almost had to stand on my handlebars to keep the front end down. I was very impressed by the overall experience with the Sand Stars. You can get the ITP for 50 to 65 dollars. The Maxxis cost me 68.99 each. I’ll probably get those (maybe next summer) but until then I’ll stay with the Roosters.

Larry

Old 11-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

River Valley ?

Old 11-25-2003, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

Down Town GP

Old 12-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

YUP!! The Sand Stars are awesome tires. I was very impressed by them! I bought my self front and rears for the rappy and man can these tires rip. ITP has outdone themselves casue these things can climb hills like no other and have great traction. And the handling is great with them. Truly great tires. And look awesome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2003, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I'm still waiting for them to make them in a 22x11x10. I have had a set on back order since Aug. 5. I had paid for them, but finally got my money back and kept the backorder. They look sweet though.