Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Dumont Dunes on Presidents day questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumont Dunes on Presidents day questions

The parking lot is hard packed dirt........Lots of motorhomes so it cant be that soft.

If you want to camp away from the crazies and crowds then you need a 4x4.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah when I went to Dumont, I hauled my shee in a small two-wheel drive toyota, so your set with a 4x4. Anyhow, yeah I still go to Pismo because it's conveniently close by. I leave my shee at my friends house in San Luis Obispo, 15 minutes to the dunes! I'm originally from Bakersfield but have been living here in Salinas for the last 1 1/2 years and I still haven't been to Hollister Hills which is only like 25 minutes away. I need to get my shee running again and check it out. Later.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

What set ups do you guy's run out there (ie. paddles/sizes)?

Old 01-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone...Anyone??? Buler...Buler...

Old 01-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you like to do a little something diffrent, bring your rock tires and you can ride for days on all the trails and surrounding areas. there's some old mines around the area to check out and a small river/creek that has an established trail on it that is really neat and has lots of cool scenery to check out. even if you stay on the dunes the whole time you'll love it but it does get pretty crowded on the dunes that weekend.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the trail information. I'll have to check it out. I like to ride both. Can you access these trails from the parking area ay Dumont? I'd like to check out that mine area, sounds like a good time.

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

you can access the whole world from the camp site, basicly your camp site is the entire county of san bernadino and you choose how close you want to be to the dunes. As you come in from the highway on the dirt road after a couple miles you cross a creek and come up out of small wash area, the dunes are right in your face. Directly in front of you is comp hill (almost, it's actually around a small corner), the further west you are from that general center, the quieter and safer the camping will be. As for the mines, they are located on the far west end of the dunes in the mountains that meet the dunes. if your riding west from the dunes you run into this mountain, follow the base of the mountain around to the north and you will hit a well worn trail ( it's wide enough for trucks but still pretty sandy) follow the trail to the west for about a mile and you'll see a trail cutting back to the south and it will take you to the mines. There are a few other trails that branch off this main one and I can't give you any GPS readings so you'll have to play Lewis and Clark for a bit, but that's what it's all about right? Have fun!!

Old 01-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone going to dumont pres day with a KFX700 that is piped...I really want to see how one goes up comp hill...have not yet seen any piped 700's out on the trail??????????????

Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

Hey sandfever thanks for the great info. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Goliath

Old 01-27-2004, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

You can also take the Speery Wash trail northeast. Lots of mines way up there but you have to stay on the trail. Lots of BLM and Tree Hugers patrolling. Make sure your full of fuel and take drinks because it can be a long way. You'll end up at the talc mines and overlook Shoshone if you follow the road to the left and go up to the peak by the communications towers. Go slow because it does get washed out during hard rains. It's really a Jeep trail.

Quick Reply: Dumont Dunes on Presidents day questions