Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

ds650 at the dunes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650 at the dunes

ok i have a brand new ds i was wondering how i will do with stock tires at pismo i just orderd some engine mods lol and forgot tires so i have no money will my stock tread be ok at pismo

and one more question how would a kodiak atv do there is can be 2 wheel drive would my freind have fin in the sand or is it not worth it? thanks for the info

Old 02-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

oh ya is pismo better than glamis i will be going to 1 of the 2 on pre's day weekend witch one do you think is better

Old 02-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

I have never been to the Cali dunes but you can get around on knobbies, your just not going to win any drag races on them. Make sure you eat your wheaties! Your probably going to get it stuck several times if you venture into really soft sand. Not sure about where your at but this time of year the sand here is heavy from all the rain and knobbies will get around ok...

Old 02-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

One time the paddles didn't get loaded when we were in a hurry going to Walden, droped the air pressure to 2 psi and was very surprised at how well they did, don't want to try starting from a stop on a up hill but you'll be able to have fun for sure (no doubt you'll do better since the sand a pizmo will be weter than at Walden) and thats with the crapy Kendas, I think you have the Ohatsu's? they will do much better try them at 3 psi haven't been to Pizmo but I don't think the hills are to big there, glamis has some good sized hills and a lot of varied terrian, better I think

Old 02-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Stock knobbies will work great at pismo. Dunes are not that tall. They do not come close to Glamis dunes!

Old 02-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

what about s 4x4 kodiac at the dunes will that do ok its 2x4 and 4x4 stock treads do you think its worth bringin or not?

Old 02-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

If you need another bike for someone to ride, bring it. Just let the air pressure down to 2 or 3 (tops) psi. It should be fine. The dunes may even be wet......making it that much easier to ride everywhere!

Old 02-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

pismo is tiny compared to glamis. Take the trip to glamis, you wont be dissapointed. Why are you doing all this enginework and not have paddles, you will lose alot of HP through tirespin so all that work is just a waste of $$ without paddles. Sean

Old 02-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My first quad was a Trailboss 250 and it did fine at Pismo with the stock tires.

I am a much different rider today and the old quad wouldn't be able to get out of its way fast enough for me today. But, don't worry about it for this trip. No paddles is fine. Sand at Pismo is always real wet so not a real issue. Do some searches though. You'll want 22's for Sand Mt. probably. I have a set of 20's sitting around but, they are probably not the best choice for the DS.

Glamis is far better than Pismo. But, in the summer I'ld rather be at Pismo where the ocean keeps me cool then at Glamis where it is 110 in the shade. Weather should weigh into your decision.

You may want to go to Dumont Dunes to try that out. It is smaller than Glamis but, still plenty to see.

Old 02-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jetsnow600
pismo is tiny compared to glamis. Take the trip to glamis, you wont be dissapointed. Why are you doing all this enginework and not have paddles, you will lose alot of HP through tirespin so all that work is just a waste of $$ without paddles. Sean
i didnt think i was gona go to the dunes this early i was gona go to holister but i realy wana go to the dunes and i ran out of money to buy them lol my bad but i get paid at the end of this month so ill be buying some any one have a good used pair they wana sell in the next 2 weeks? with rims ? thanks for all your info

Quick Reply: ds650 at the dunes