Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

what's the best new quad for dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the best new quad for dunes?

Pismo's dunes aren't typical of the other dunes I have ridden. I like to run the fenceline at Pismo and that is whooped out and more like a track. The flat drags are whooped out too so, you wouldn't sit there much either.

Sand Mt, NV, Dumont, Glamis all have longer hills that you end up sitting a good portion of the way through. Also, we end up riding for a while then sitting on our quads for a break. That sitting alone will hurt your backside with a stiff seat. True, if I am really riding I'm out of the saddle but, I am out and in it, not just plain out of it all the time.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Range Rover

I'm heading down to San Diego for college this fall. If I don't buy a streetbike I'm gonna trade in my EX for a YFZ450 and head out to Glamis as often as I can. I hear Pismo is a lot different than a lot of the dunes out here, and the differences are all negative [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

I'm 6'3" 265lbs. and ride a YFZ450. Yeh, thats right a YFZ450! I raised the bars 1 1/2" and lowered the pegs 1 1/2" and it's comfortable as hell. When it was stock there was no way in hell I could ride it comfortably.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 02:46 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: K2Snow
I'm heading down to San Diego for college this fall. If I don't buy a streetbike I'm gonna trade in my EX for a YFZ450 and head out to Glamis as often as I can. I hear Pismo is a lot different than a lot of the dunes out here, and the differences are all negative [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
YFZ and glamis > street bike and crappy drivers

should i start looking for good deals on YFZ's for you now?

Old 02-24-2004, 03:16 AM
Range Rover

YFZ and glamis > street bike and crappy drivers

should i start looking for good deals on YFZ's for you now?[/quote]

yea, that would be awesome, looking to get a brand new one otd for 6G [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] anyone know how far glamis is from san diego anyway? i've heard 2 hours...

Old 02-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

LA Yamaha sells them for 6,600.00 otd. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm 6'1" 220 and with my piped kfx I can hang with any bike but the banshee when draging.The 450r and the yfz beat me by a half bike lenght in a 100 yard drag.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing
just a tech tip !!! gt thunder sells a very nice new plug for the yfz . it is a billet plug that bolts on and will not come out . 20 bones ! cheap insurance !!!!!
Thanks for the tip !!

Old 02-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

the 250r still rules the dunes people, ill be the first to say that the new 450's are amazing and most of them are pretty damn fast, but your hp numbers dont matter if you dont have the accelleration to get it going in the sand. if your going to dune with a thumper and want to keep up with us guys on 310 and 330r's then your going to need to do lots of stuff.

1. lighten the heck out of your flywheel
2. get a superlight piston 12:1 compression or more
3. stroke your crank (different lengths for diff quads)

those are just the must haves and do's for fast dune thumping. and on top of which 4 strokes are on an average about 70% heaver especially the big bores like the raptor and especially the ds650!! as far as suspension goes any one out there can go anywhere a for a killer suspension set up and usually only end up paying 700 for a full set of elka's (used and rebuilt). i rode a ds650 with a white bros exhaust and a high rev cdi, with a port after i rode my powervalve esr330r and i felt like i could have gotten off and walked faster. my whole setup puts out around 67hp and only weighs 211lbs. its very comfortable, turns on a dime and with the right paddle rides like its on rails in the sand. be prepared to do some prep if you plan on goin with a four stroke. better yet call up mickey dunlap! but if you want a quad that you can just buy and ride and be plent fast enough right when you get it, get the R.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Did you even read the original questions? Or even the topic for this post? The 250r is NOT a new quad, and the guy mostly wanted to know about 4-strokes. The 250r doesn't even rule the 2-strokes in the dunes. I thought the new YFZ people were the worst about blind loyalty.

This gets back to what I mentioned in another post about everyone just recommending what they're riding, even when it obviously does not fit what the person is after. Where's the originality? The open-mindedness?

Quick Reply: what's the best new quad for dunes?