Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Tires......more paddles or less paddles = faster??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires......more paddles or less paddles = faster??

8 Paddle is plenty for you even if you go bigger bore later... Go with 22 inch triple buffs of you want best and lightest but only if you ride good sand with nothing that can puncture a tire. If you really want to do your best then go with 8 inch wheels with your paddles... I can give you retail parts unlimited prices of some tires and let you work from there... I will check some and post back...

Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

Prices run from high 40's to 70's for various paddle tires. I don't have the prices for skat tracks but I can get them also. According to the parts catalog the bolt pattern changed from 4/156 to the more common 4/110 on the predator for the 2004 model year so you can get 8 inch wheels for it. As that goes it would be the same pattern as Honda. If you want I can get you a deal on a set of wheels and tires of your choice that is better than retail. You would have to pay for shipping from arkansas though. Also I have a set of 20x11.00-8 Sand Devil 8 paddles on new wheels that I might sell. I used them one day at Little Sahara in Oklahoma. Retail is $49.95 each tire. I can't remember which wheel they are on but I can let you know if you are interested. The reason I would sell them is that I can get them and wheels at cost and only got those because I couldn't get the ones I wanted on short notice. I had gone home from Baghdad on leave and the triple buffs where on back order. These tires are fine but on a drag bike I lose about half to 3/4 a bike length or so that I would have with a triple buff 8 paddle. Check to see if your bike does have 4/110 pattern. I can check and see what I paid and give them to you for less than that already mounted on the wheels... I will call and check on which wheels they are and let you know if you are interested.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

probably pick up more then a bike because those dune devils are tiny.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, how is the number of paddles you need for a 4 stroke differnt from a 2stroke? Do 2 strokes like more or less paddles?

Old 11-04-2004, 07:47 PM
MTX
Pro Rider

2 strokes use more paddles because they rev faster. Thats why you see banshees with 12-14 paddles, their are some 4 strokes (BB ds650s) that run 12 paddle.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

i have a '04 ds650 stock, this thankgiving i am going to the dunes for the first time. i need some paddles with some bite so i can make a good showing against all the raptors and banshees in my club. i have the only ds in the club so everyone wants to race me. i hear from some in the club that i wanna use offset v's so i can turn easily, are the straight cuts that hard to turn? i'm not only doing drags so i want something i can have fun all over the dunes with. i just got some sharkfins by gbc for the front , should i go with straights or something like sandstars in the rear? if straights should i go with 8 or 10 paddles? also is rocky mountain about the best place for prices on tire and wheel packages?

Old 11-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: LVracer36
2 strokes use more paddles because they rev faster. Thats why you see banshees with 12-14 paddles, their are some 4 strokes (BB ds650s) that run 12 paddle.
Actually, you want fewer paddles on a 2 stroke because you have less torque off the line and dont want them to hook up as well for the fastest start. You want a certain amount of spin, and without the torque you need fewer paddles to allow it than a similarly powered 4 stroke.

At least, that is what I have learned from my experience.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:30 PM
MTX
Pro Rider

SkLLz are you planning to get pipe and filter, if so go with 22x11x10 8paddle haulers, they might not work as good with your stock machine, but when you get your mods they will work excellent.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you see 12-14 paddles on banshees is becuase they are pushing well over 75hp. Few four strokes make that much power without many thousands more into the engine, so the big paddles are less common on them.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

im thinking of doing the end cap mod, people are rating those better than a new pipe.

Quick Reply: Tires......more paddles or less paddles = faster??