Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Superstition Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superstition Mountain

Spent yesterday at Superstition, first time out there. Excellent day, no wind, the temps were mild and there was plenty of sand. Not very crowded either. It's not really a mountain, but a big lumpy dune.

Denis

Old 12-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Need more info.
What did you ride? Did you tackle Sand Dam? Was Wheeler road bad?
Glad you had a good time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

First visit there, Wheeler road muddy in a few spots, no trouble for my truck & trailer (Tundra 2WD). I parked by the mountain. I had a Z400, Z250 and a Viper 70 out there that day. I'm not familier with Sand Dam location, I was up and through the tower areas on the mountain. Had to be careful about that area as the dunes crest and drop off suddenly.

Denis

Old 12-20-2004, 11:40 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no one took you to the sand dam? follow the sand highway to the north end of the mountain and it will begin to hug the side of the mountain closely. from there you should see plenty of tracks or even people heading up into the hills. becareful, you come up on the back (small) side of the dam it's very decieving. i frequent glamis and gordons often and the dam is a very decent size hill. nice grade too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I love the sand dam too...
It's where I got my nickname (and login ID) ... on a 1984 YZ250.
I'll see if I can dig up some old pics when I used to hit the lip in 4th gear.... WHOOOOAAAAAAA!

But, have ya'all been to the 'widowmaker' that's back around the corner ... and just a steeeeep dune that is more like drift sand. My CR500 had trouble at times making the grade. When it's hot out there... that sand is sooo deep and ... well, sandy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Superstition is where I grew up riding...

(I just looked on my website and noticed some of my pics are gone... and the links aren't working... hmmm, otherwise I'd send ya there for some cool shots of superstition)

Here's one from Glamis....!

.... Enjoy! And be careful to stay out of the NAVAL bombing areas... the backside of Superstition is ALL naval property!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

ive heard of that dune, johnny, but never made it out there because people tell me you have to ride on hardpack to get there and i dont like throwing on knobbies.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looking at the TOPO map I have of the area, Wheeler takes a route that leads to the south end of the mountain. There is apparently another route that takes you on the north side, it's not Wheeler, does anyone have any info on that route? That road indicates its paved and not an umimproved road like Wheeler is.

Denis

Old 12-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm... well, kinda.
It's not that bad. It's a road (hardpack) that takes you over there. (WidowMaker is what I'm speaking about)

... and too funny, I've NEVER ridden a paddle out at Superstition. There's just too much fun in the mud hills and outlying areas to only ride the small dunes of that area. But, to each his own I guess. In fact... I was ANTI paddles for a long time just because I learned on knobbies at Superstition. THen... I went to Glamis. Much more fun with paddles.

There's some killer washes that lead out of the 'dam' too... out towards the flats or backside of the mountain. Also, there's some killer crevices from the earthquake they had out there some long time ago. It tore that mountain up! I mean, deep cavernous stuff! Scary. I've been out in the military areas snooping before... pretty fun. But you've got to make sure it's a holiday or weekend they're not 'watching'... otherwise they'll come out and tell ya to take a hike. And they're not nice about it. But there's all kinds of abandoned trailers, and vehicles... little outposts they've set up. And this is all way away from the tire range (Bombing area) so it's not too dangerous. (Don't get me started on what I did out there as a kid... what I picked up, or towed back to camp!!! I'm lucky to be here with all fingers I'm sure)

That place is fun for a 2 wheeler!!

Old 12-20-2004, 03:14 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

i just love the feeling of paddles so much better. plus riding a peaky 250r trike with knobbies is just about useless. i never have traction. it blows the tires off in all gears no matter what surface unless its pavement are really hard pack.

ive been beat by a stock z400 with a rookie rider for about 200 yards before finally passing him. fun to me doesnt entitled a new top end. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dionysius
Looking at the TOPO map I have of the area, Wheeler takes a route that leads to the south end of the mountain. There is apparently another route that takes you on the north side, it's not Wheeler, does anyone have any info on that route? That road indicates its paved and not an umimproved road like Wheeler is.

Denis

It's in the NAVAL property zone... and not passable via us non militants.
Stay out of those areas... unless you're a risk taker like me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

They've come out and ushered me out of the area... in a Chenowth Buggy, ya know ... the one built for Desert Storm... with a .50 cal on the roof!! It was interesting to say the least. Good thing they didn't see the .50cal rounds stuck in my boot!! We were out in the fighter jet gunnery area.... where they dive and shoot at a huge mound of dirt and abandoned military vehicles. It's way out past the tire ring for the 'flash and smoke' bombs. Last I saw, there was an old tank or something on the tire ring bullseye. What's there now???

Even seen the magnesium flares they drop at night???? Or the 5" diameter aluminum tubes they come down in... with a nice parachute?! Oh ya... you find a 'live' one... be careful. But if you manage to get it back to camp... stick about 4 road flares into the detonator end (open end) and run... about 5min later you'll get the best show. 5+ minutes of the brightest flare you've ever seen in your life. It melts the canister down to ... well, a pile of white rubble. Usually that night or the next day, the Ranger (yes, there's rangers out there!) will come visit you at camp... asking about the white pile, and who lit the flare!

Like I said... many memories from that place. MANY!

Ask me about the fouled plug one day out past the tire ring....!!!
(And here came the fighter jets to make their runs!!!)

Quick Reply: Superstition Mountain