Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Choke Cherry vs. Olds

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:58 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke Cherry vs. Olds

OK I went to OLDs this weekend....
Here is the facts. its 235 from base to the top (where we were racing to, maybe 250 to the VERY top). When we were riding up to it, I asked one fo the locals "is that OLDS?" "Yep" I started laughing. It would not even get a name, race or any attention in Utah or Idaho. We have thousands of hills WAY bigger than that at both dunes.
It is roughly 1/2 to 1/3 the Draw, valley, whatever you wnat to call it at Little Saraha. Maybe a hair steeper, but not much. Don't get me wrong its a cool hill to race on, but its just a speed bump. Everyone said you got to go to China wall, I did, its a baby hill too. The wall we have out back dwarfs it. No one woudl pay attention to China wall if it was in Utah or Idaho. You Glamis boys would die if you came to Utah/Idaho. You have so much area (the closed area is larger than Utah dunes by far), and its a good thing, you also have millions of people. But thats IT. Our dunes are the major league, yours are minor, our hills are major league, your are minor league, maybe even single A.
I loved it, it was a blast. I will definetly go back. The weather is so nice right now.
But I will say this, the Glamis locals I rode with, could not keep up with the Utah boys! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

I can actually say I laughed too when I first saw it. Did you see Comp hill??? OMFG LOL!!!!!!! I heard of plenty of machines blowing up at FSW's. Imagine if they had FSW's up the Face of Sand Mtn.. I think they'd have to start a junkyard at the bottom for scrap metal and a counseling area for financial disasters.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2005, 07:21 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Thats funny!
I said the same thing. There is no way those bikes could run our hill. They could not make it through whe whoops before melting down. There were at least 5-6 big dog bikes that let go on that speed bump. If we had it at out hill.........

Did not see Comp, I guess they close it for holidays.

Once again, I am glad to be in Utah.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 2fun....Yes, as I said in a previous email on this page, I am more impressed with Devil's Dune than Choke Cherry. And Dead Horse is maybe the biggest single bowl I have ridden. I think the most impressive Comp Hill is at Sand Mountain Utah.

But each of these riding areas have their unique advantages. If you have ever gone to Oregon Dunes you will probably agree it is also very FUN. Heck, I even enjoyed Coral Pink....just wouldn't go back there very often! And flying over the razor top at Sand Mountain Nevada will flat get your attention!

You Idaho and Utah folks should be very grateful you do not have the crowds that Glamis draws.

Hey KGB...glad to hear your report. I'm not surprised you enjoyed Glamis. You didn't say if you rode the big bowls between Olds and Gecko? One huge bowl right beside the next, some nearly as big as Dead Horse, but one right after another...no end to them. Even with the (temporary) closure, there is 100 times the number of dunes as anywhere else. Did you ride Sand Highway (at 60 mph) past the closure to the Patton's Valley walls? How about the Gorden's Well dunes or the Buttercup dunes? Endless places to ride wide open for hours and never hit the same dune twice.

Olds is a social hangout because it is easy to find and you can even drive your 4WD vehicle out there. Anyone would enjoy the fantastic buggies that gather there on a holiday weekend. Did you see the boys getting the Big Air on the double just east of Olds, on the opposite side of pit row? Did you go to the Sand Drags near Gecko every day between 3-5pm? Olds attracts the boys that want to show off, but it certainly is not the tallest nor steepest (anyone bragging on the size of Olds isn't credible).
There is more skin at Glamis at Thanksgiving or Easter than all year anywhere else. New Years week is T-shirt weather. Then ride down to Vendor's row and get anything you need for your machine, or welding done. And get some hot food at Hog Heaven or Billy Bob's BBQ or a number of other spots. Ride right up to the store and get gas, or a cold beer at the bar, and pizza at the restaurant. Ride out to Boardmanville and put your marker on the wall with a million others, get some ice cream or chili cheese fries, shoot a game of pool, gas up and hit the dunes again. It's a hell of a way to go!

If I could only go back to one spot, it would have to be Glamis. Life is short, enjoy it how you like best!

Old 01-18-2005, 08:07 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Sandals,
Yeah I rode some of those areas. I did enjoy them alot. I hope it did not sound like I was bagging on Glamis. Its AWESOME! You have it all there for sure. I need to coem back when I have more than 2 days to ride ( and not spend one at Olds all day).
I guess its all relative, huh? I do miss the 74 degree weather already!
I just really appreciate what I have 100 miles away a little more now.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:16 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you did sound like you were bagging on glamis, you also sounded like there was no fast people at glamis........it was <u>4</u> stroke wars.....not 2 stroke wars. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] you're welcome to come back on t-day and race.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandals
Hey 2fun....Yes, as I said in a previous email on this page, I am more impressed with Devil's Dune than Choke Cherry. And Dead Horse is maybe the biggest single bowl I have ridden. I think the most impressive Comp Hill is at Sand Mountain Utah.

But each of these riding areas have their unique advantages. If you have ever gone to Oregon Dunes you will probably agree it is also very FUN.
Oregon dunes is where I ride every summer, Christmas, and spring break! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Take a look at my pics for more details..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2005, 01:04 AM
KGB
Pro Rider

HA2, I know it did, but it was s lighthearted poke, thats it
What I meant was about duning, as far as not keeping up.
It was kind of a had to be there thing, I guess.
All the Cali boys were warning us the night we got in. About the horrows beyond the other side of the top of a dune, the choppy state of the sand, the dangers of the dreaded witches eye, and how big the hills were behind Olds. Like I was a rookie rider, because I had not been to Glamis. So it was a challenge for me to leave them as far behind as possible[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I absolutely LOVED the place, I am planning on a trip for the whole week between Christmas and New Year this year.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

KGB, I loved the commentary, and especially Sandgod's financial counseling and bottom of the hill scrapyard [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

We are arranging our spring break, in which we usually go to St Anthony or try Little Sahara and we always get snowed out or otherwise foul weather'd. It is the last week of March or so and we may end up in Glamis. How long did it take you Kam to drive there from SLC? My miler says 684 miles. Or we may hit Vegas and ride there in the hills, play some and go to Coral Pink then L Sahara, depends on the weather.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:56 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Shady,
It was a 12.5 hour drive from SLC to Glamis. It was over 700 miles. We were traveling at a decent speed, but since we were going pretty good, we were stopping for gas alot. I was getting barely 10mpg and my Tahoe only has s 23 gal tank. So we had to stop 4 times each way. It was amazing, Shady. Dunes as far as the eye can see. One of my favorites was the very frequent fly by's of jets, helicopters, and $100K sand rails!

Quick Reply: Choke Cherry vs. Olds