Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Choke Cherry vs. Olds

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:46 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choke Cherry vs. Olds

LOL, wishful thinking, todd. plus what do you mind? you're already a owner and soaking up the pricing in cali. then again the more money you make and the more money houses cost kind of counter acts itself in benefits to buying a better home.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a good reason that Glamais is called "The Sand Toy Capital of the World" !
Remember that Olds Hill does not represent the good riding at Glamis....it is simply an easy place to find and to get to....so many people hang out there. It's a social spot at Glamis....so is Vendor's Row.
The good riding is in the huge bowls and on the big walls. And those are endless. If you like to Dune Ride, you can't beat Glamis. Nowhere else in the US comes close.
If you want to race a big Comp Hill then there are many choices to argue over, but Olds is not one of them.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
Originally posted by: KGB
Another thing to think about at Choke is the elevation. That is a huge hill if it was at sea level, its a bear to climb it at 4500 feet.
Us high elevation guys (4500 feet and up) have lots to look forward to coming down to Glasmis / Dumont elevations, where you low landers have to suffer to come to our heights. I cannot wait to see what the drop inelevation does. I will be at Olds next week, and I go to Choke alot, so I will have a good comparison after that.
I'll be anxiously awaiting your comparison. We are considering a trip to Glamis over spring break, as our last-year Little Sahara idea was snowed out.
I will also be awaiting your answer, as I have been to St. Anthony three years in a row!

Oh yeah, Devils dune is even steeper than Choke cherry, but not sure if it is taller or not?

Old 01-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Devil's dune is about 15 feet taller in actual vertical rise according to my GPS.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

How tall is it??? Sand Mtn Utah is 580 vertical ft according to Wyoduners GPS when he was here last year.. The Valley side is about 1200ft long..

Old 01-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Drum roll please............................................ ......................

Choke Cherry hill has a vertical rise of 285 feet.

Devil's Dune is 300.

Now remember, this is VERTICAL RISE, not the distance you actually travel from bottom to top. I am taking a laser rangefinder with me this year and will get those numbers.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:05 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Thanks Shady, Sandgod, thats interesting stuff.
Anyone have that kind of data on Olds?

Old 01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

Drum roll please............................................ ......................

Choke Cherry hill has a vertical rise of 285 feet.

Devil's Dune is 300.

Now remember, this is VERTICAL RISE, not the distance you actually travel from bottom to top. I am taking a laser rangefinder with me this year and will get those numbers.
Very nice info, Shady and Sandgod! Thanks!
How tall is Thunder Mountain, and Dead horse bowl???

Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Oh sure, now you want to know everything! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I didn't gps those other ones. When I'm there with the rangefinder though I'm taking a note pad and doing the whole thang.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Oh sure, now you want to know everything! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I didn't gps those other ones. When I'm there with the rangefinder though I'm taking a note pad and doing the whole thang.
LOL!!! Yeah, I want to know it ALL!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Thanks again for the info. This is good stuff!!

If Devils dune is 300 ft, I'm guessing Thunder mountain is somewhere's close to 400???
I am pretty sure it is taller, but I know for a fact that it isn't near as steep!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Choke Cherry vs. Olds