Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Winchester Bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winchester Bay

We are going to Winchester Bay this year for vacation. We live in Pennsylvania. I understand they have noise restrictions. I ride a 2003 Cannidale Blaze. It is very loud. It is stock with a FMF full system pipe. Will I be given any problems out there.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winchester Bay

You will be illegal for sure. I sure as hell would not recm anyone driving all the way across the country to ride the Oregon Dunes with illegal equipment. Why not just be a good responsible citizen and fix up your equipment and not worry. Noise is the biggest problem causing closures all up and down the Oregon Dunes. Many areas have been closed off due to excessive noise too close to homes. Four strokes are the most common offenders. If dune police catch you with too loud quad they will impound all your quads, impound your truck and trailer, throw you and all with you in jail for life without parole, burn down your home in Penn, impound your life savings, and drink all your brews.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Winchester Bay

I guess that I did not make myself clear. The machine is stock. It came that way from the factory. All I can do is repack the silencer before I leave, which I plan on doing.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Winchester Bay

The max decibel level allowed in the Oregon dunes is 93.
If you are louder than this you run the risk of being ticketed.
Just ride slowly around the staging areas and camping areas. Don't be advertising how loud you are by getting on the pipe near where the rangers may be. Out in the dunes you should be fine.
I would repack your muffler. If you get stopped tell them that it is the stock pipe and muffler.
Have a great time, you'll love the Winchester dunes!

Old 03-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winchester Bay

Thanks for your information.

Matt

Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winchester Bay

, and drink all your brews.[/quote]

Now thats taking things to far.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winchester Bay

I live in Oregon and have been riding winchester and the other oregon dune areas for years and have never had a problem with the noise restrictions. There are plenty of quads louder than mine. I ride a DS with an open end cap that is nowhere near the 93db limit and have never even been tested. Most any quad with an aftermarket pipe will not be under the limit, and not many have stock pipes out in the dunes. Oregon is a great place to ride and there is alot of challenges, As long as you ride with respect in the staging areas you will have a great time, the only time I have seen the forestry service pull out the noise meter is when someone is being a jerk on the paved areas..

If you want a guide when you come west just drop me a pm and we'll see if maybe we can get some riding in..

Old 03-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Range Rover
Default Winchester Bay

I just moved to Portland (OR) from Salt Lake City. I heard all sorts of horror stories about the sound limits in Oregon, but when I drove by Sand Lake, it looked (and sounded) like there were plenty of piped machines. Are there some areas that are enforced more heavily? Or is it like a Jaywalking ticket - just for getting troublemakers, or "suspicious" characters?

Old 04-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winchester Bay

At one point, Sand Lake was not enforcing sound issues. I was unaware that they were now enforcing them, but then again, I never go there.

The sound limit is 93 + or - 3 dbs, so you CAN be up to 96 db without getting ticketed.
They have not been as bad about harassing people on sound issues these last few years as they were about 4-5 years ago. Still, its a good idea to keep it as quiet as possible.

There are several pipe makers that garauntee 96db or less.
FMF, Cascade, DR D, etc......

Old 04-03-2005, 05:05 AM
RPM
Pro Rider
Default Winchester Bay

You are going to find that you will have more noise enforcement during the big haliday weekends. On the off weekends and during the week, they seem to ease up on the noise issues and generally won't bother you unless you are doing something to bother them or everyone else.

When are you going?

Quick Reply: Winchester Bay