Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Florence Oregon Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florence Oregon Question!!

I am wanting to take my son to the dunes this summer and would like to know all the campgrounds that have dune access. I would also like mabye a family type campground. I have never been so all your input would be great.

Thanks
Roman

Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

Check out sandlakeduners.com. Lots of info about the oregon dunes on that site.

or check out http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/

Old 05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Coos Bay Dunes:
Horsfal and Horsfal Beach campgrounds (south end)
Hauser KOA (middle)
Spinreel campground (northend)

Winchester dunes:
Dispersed sand camping
Discovery Bay campground

Florence dunes:
Driftwood II campground
Sand Dunes Frontier @ sanddunesfrontier.com

KOA you can find online and all the other campgrounds are US Forest Service and can be found with the link on the above post.

All campgrouns take reservations and they are needed.
Good luck.
I could mail you a map of all the dune areas if you PM me with your address.

Old 05-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Trailblazer

Honeyman SP has dune access in the off-season. Beautiful park, great for the family. Will be heading there in June even though no dune access. So nice for the family it's worth the hassle of trailering to the OHV loading area.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Range Rover

I have gone for a week once or twice every year for the last 15 years. All the info you have received above is Legit. I have camped at most of these campgrounds. All are nice in their own way, and I think all are family oriented. If you are sand camping you need 4WD.

Another campground on the Florence dunes is Whoahink (ATV access but no buggy access).

Horsfall Campground has showers, Driftwood II does not, neither have hookups. Frontier has no hookups. Spinreel is my favorite but has no hookups, and it has the lowest vacancy rate.

The Discovery Bay campground is Discovery Point (full hookups).
Windy Point (full hookups) also has access to Winchester Dunes, but it is a rather long ride along the shoulder of the blacktop and may not be good for your son.

The KOA (full hookups) has a rather long access road to the Horsfall Dunes.

As Red400exRod indicated, the dunes are in three separate non-connected areas. You mentioned Florence, so have you decided that you want to go to the Florence Dunes? You could easily ride for a week at any of these three areas....or do you want to trailer into each on different days?

Reservations for this summer may already be hard to get, especially if you want to go during the Sandfest. I would recommend staying away from Sandfest this first trip with your son.
I would recommend staying where you have direct sand access.
How long are you staying and how old is your son? Any other campers in your group?
RV or tent camping?
Send some more info and we can help you more.

You will love this area! Have fun.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Morewood, just to let you know, Driftwood II now has showers. They're nice and hot!
Where is the Whoahink campground? I know I've seen signs for Whoahink Lake.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

Just a correction...Driftwood II does have showers.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the update on Driftwood. I haven't camped there in a few years. Good to hear they have the showers. Are they quarter machines? Can you come from another camp and shower there?

Whoahink is a privately owned campground beteeen the Driftwood turn and Frontier, on the left of the highway, look for their sign. It's a small RV campground that only allows a dozen or so ATV campers in their sites. They have good facilities and hookups, but a narrow direct access to the Florence dunes that a buggy cannot make. When we were there they were not very "kid friendly".

Our group of 22 RVs will be at Spinreel the third week of July. Look us up if you are there. Just ask for Morewood.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Pue11
Just a correction...Driftwood II does have showers.
they are nice ones too

I would avoid stall #1 FYI[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Roman,

We are headed to Florence (camping at Honeyman State Park) soon. This will be our first time riding there, we have camped
there several times with our boys. There's a nice lake to fish in, plus you can rent (or bring) sandboards to play with. I enjoyed
watching the daring kids board down the hill and right into the lake! You can rent paddle boats and there's a swim area as well.

As dfru wrote, the riding area access is gated this time of year, but apparently it's not far (I called the campground - they said 1-2 miles).

Another thing we've learned in the past couple of years, if you're a gambler, there are sites at the state campgrounds that are not
reserved for "drop-ins" and some also have "overflow" camping spots. These are fine if you don't plan to be at camp much, or if
there's not a regular spot open that night, but there is an opening you can have the next day for the rest of your stay. We've
had fun adventures seeing if we'll get a spot, but we have a camper, and we weren't hauling the bikes, so we could camp in a
parking lot or such without much trouble if needed.

Have a wonderful time with your boys![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]