Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

What PSI to run in fronts/rears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What PSI to run in fronts/rears?

Originally posted by: R00ST
for the first time we messed around with tire pressure to see its affects in the dunes, and found it really does play a huge part in traction. I ran 4 psi in my rear sand stars, and 5 in my front stockers.

This trip (we leave in 3 weeks for st anthonies/little sahara) I will have my new 22x8x10 sand star fronts, and dont know what pressure is best for front tires?

What is the highest/lowest safe psi? (should say on the tires I assume, but dont have easy access to them)

I could not climb sand mountain in 3rd gear last trip (could get 1/3 of the way up in 3rd, then had to drop to second) with 22x11x10 sand stars with a 15 tooth front on my ds. This trip I will have the 14 tooth front on ,and hopefully will be able to pull sand mountain in 3rd. (if I cant, I have a 17 tooth front, and can at least go faster up it in 2nd)

Just wondering what everyone else runs for psi in the dunes with dune tires.
Like cowboy, I also run the lower pressures. At one time I had the rears at 1.5, but felt a little leary with them that low.

I usually run the rears at 2.5-4 PSI, and the fronts at 3-5 PSI
The less air pressure, the better the traction and floatation.

I've never broken a bead either, but I run the Haulers.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

ok, so lower psi=MORE traction? So if I want to have a better chance at climbing the hill in 3rd (since I have to shift to second approx half way up) I could pump them up the the max psi, so there would be less traction = more wheel spin, which hopefully would allow me to run 3rd up the hill.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: R00ST
ok, so lower psi=MORE traction? So if I want to have a better chance at climbing the hill in 3rd (since I have to shift to second approx half way up) I could pump them up the the max psi, so there would be less traction = more wheel spin, which hopefully would allow me to run 3rd up the hill.
Yes you could try that.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you were holding 3rd we might talk about modifying your current setup to grab more out of 3rd but its bogging it out enough to downshift you cant gain much from tire PSI unless you were way off from the beginning like running them flat. gearing always works but doesnt alway reveal the desired results as well. you might be grabbing 3rd with shorter gearing but now you've lowered the top speed in 3rd and this might be good for a couple MPH but if you cant click 3rd in the whoops and have to wait for the smooth part of the hill you might be hurting yourself more than you think. some food for thought.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: bl4cksh337
right at the tip of the v it's ripping. their not abused or they don't have a defect. because they'd be gone by now. After a while they just started ripping, the quad is a torque monster it has: pipe thats customa made, custom made intake, and jetted and it is faster than the other raptors with pipe kits.
I have a friend with a pair of Sand Stars and the same thing happened. His were brand new. He has a 400ex so too much power isn't the problem. Someone said it was from running low tire pressure. I have a brand new pair, I hope it doesn't happen to them.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

Generally, we have found that lowering air pressure gives you more traction. (There are some exceptions.) It also gives you more float. Low air also gives you a softer ride, more comfortable. Air pressure varies with altitude, so check them at each area you ride.

I run low air in the front to keep the tires up and not biting in too hard, for speed and climbing. I run razors to then give me the steering I need. About 2 pounds...I have only popped a bead once when I hit mega-hard on a bad jump.
I run from 2-3 pounds in the rear with SS II's. I have to clean out the bead about every two years, but no other problems. When my Raptor was stock, I had to run a bit more air to break them loose easier.

For racing on dune faces, I definitely prefer to go smaller on the front sprocket and get another gear higher up the face. But shift as early as she will pull it!