Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Dirt BIke In The Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 01:15 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Dirt BIke In The Dunes

Originally posted by: DuneRiider
are paddle tires hard to put on???
Usually easier than a normal knobby. Let both tires sit in the sun for a while to warm/soften them and it will be easier.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Usually easier than a normal knobby. Let both tires sit in the sun for a while to warm/soften them and it will be easier.
DANG MWQ, You forget this guy lives down the road from OFC and we dont get sun around these parts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Originally posted by: mywifesquad
DANG MWQ, You forget this guy lives down the road from OFC and we dont get sun around these parts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Now, there is something good about living in SUNNY California[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

A 200cc dirt bike in the sand without a paddle tire = a lot of work.You would struggle to make it up the smallest of hills.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

i used to have a yamahaTTR-125L with all stock and i made it up ever hill that my dad went up with his raptor i just went slower though but i still went up almost ever hill there...

Old 06-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi all,
We are planning our first trip to ride in the sand (Florence, Oregon) and my husband is stressing out
over getting all of our bikes & quads ready. (We head out on the 16th, so the clock is ticking...)

He has a KTM 400, that he bought a paddle tire for.
Our youngest son has a KTM 65, that he's looking to get a paddle tire for.
Our oldest son has a RedCat, and my husband found wheels, he just needs to order the tires. He's thinking
he may be able to order the 65 tire at the same time to save shipping (he's a frugal man - more money for toys!).
I have an Arctic Cat 400 4x4, so he thinks I'm set to go as is, with my regular set up.

Back to the stressing part... he hasn't put paddle tires on before, so he's wondering about things like having to
lengthen the chain (remember, this is all greek to me), and things like that. Is it as straightforward as putting on a new
tire, or are there other things he needs to do? He commutes to Longview WA from Albany OR (90 min to 2 hours depending
on traffic each way) so his time is getting sucked up working. I'm trying to help by looking up info online, and you
guys in this forum were really helpful when I was looking up info on women's chest protectors.

With all that - any tips/advice you can offer would be VERY much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:08 AM
Quad Patrol

GoMama, I don't see where you would need to mess with the chain length, by just putting on a sand tire. mywifesquad has the same bike as your husband, a KTM400. If he doesn't post here tomorrow, I would PM him. I'm sure he will tell you everything you need to know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] As far as your AC 400 goes, you should be fine with your stock tires (if they are stock) Friend's wife rides at Pismo on a Yamaha Kodiak 450 and she goes everywhere she wants to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2005, 08:13 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum GoMama, unfortunately I dont run a paddle tire on my ktm 400. But it does look like one would fit. I use my CR 500 in the sand. I have had to add a link to the chain on both my yz80 and the wr250. It all depends on how far back in the swing arm the tire is sitting. Changing a paddle tire is like changing a knobby tire. I would put the paddle tire in the sun to soften it a bit if you can or put it in the house to warm it up. The warmer the tire the easier it is to work with.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
A 200cc dirt bike in the sand without a paddle tire = a lot of work.You would struggle to make it up the smallest of hills.
a paddle tire tire would be better,,,no doubt

the thing about moses lake is that half of the "sand" is ash fom St Helens and is way easier to hook up in than your typical fluffy dune sand

Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you mywifesquad & rescuediver - I'll pass this info on to my husband.
I knew I could count on help here!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Dirt BIke In The Dunes