Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Dirt BIke In The Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:03 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Dirt BIke In The Dunes

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Originally posted by: bl4cksh337
mwq how do you keep that ktm servised if you have any major problems. because i was going to get either a yz, cr, kx, or ktm and had to rule out the ktm because of the lack of ktm people in my area. And which do you think would be the best one of these brands for a 125 or 250 2-stroke. I heard that for 125 the kx has got the most power but for the 250 its pretty much a tie between all of them.
I think he pretty much does his own work. Finds the parts online (that's the wonderful part about the net...look for the part and get it shipped to you). Plus he doesn't crash. I've met his boys and they don't know how he does it. Well...there was that tree stump at Miami...
Thanks BRW. And I never fell when hitting that tree stump, just side swiped it at speed. Ask my oldest son, he was following me and he still doesnt believe it.

Yes I do ALL of my own work. I have spilt the cases on all my 2 strokes and a few of the honda thumpers. (the mini trail is still all original inside) I have even had the cases split on my ktm. Not because i wanted to, but because it broke a timing chain. Cracked the head in a few places. A buddy of mine saved me $600.00 by welding the pieces back together. I remachined the cases to repair the damage to them and saved another $1900.00. (the cases need to be bought in pairs) It ended up costing me $450.00 to rebuild it after the explosion. If I didnt work on my own toys, I couldnt afford them. thats for sure.

As for reccomending a 2 stroke, i would go for the yamahas and i am basically a honda guy. (until getting the ktm)

Old 06-21-2005, 09:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
We'll eventually convert mwq! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Why would you think that? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL

Then I would have to change my name to.......myquad..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Doesnt every atv forum need a old guy who rides a KTM? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say they are all pretty close besides KTM ive heard real good things about KTM but they also come with a higher price tag. I rode a year or two old YZ250 and it ran like a bat out of hell. for riding the dunes Id get a YZ250 or if you can find a used one get a KX500 or CR500 two stroke. those things are monsters and the dunes are a perfect place to soak up all that power.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

well i dont think thats a good idea for me first bike. I figured i would be happier buying another quad. Then maybe someone would trade a yz125 or something for my blaster later. I still want a dirtbike but i do lots of hillclimbs so i figured the banshee would be a more logicle choice. Plus with everyone switching to 450s i figure i could pick up a banshee pretty cheap.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: bl4cksh337 I still want a dirtbike but i do lots of hillclimbs so i figured the banshee would be a more logicle choice
I maybe wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] But, I would think a dirt bike would be the better hill climber[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] at least that's been my observation at the local parks in Central Ca.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

well ya when you get to 2-stroke 250 and up but i cant start out with a 250 and besides these are glamis hills not short hills if thats what your thinking. Not sure. But it would be a hell of a lot easier on a moddified banshee .

Old 06-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: bl4cksh337
well ya when you get to 2-stroke 250 and up but i cant start out with a 250 and besides these are glamis hills not short hills if thats what your thinking. Not sure. But it would be a hell of a lot easier on a moddified banshee .
You would know your limits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] on what bike would work best for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The hills I see them dominate are single tracks going up pretty steep hill sides[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] FOr power[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] a modified banshee would be the ticket[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2005, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

You will do fine, with a knobby or with a paddle. I personally would rather ride with a knobby, because a paddle can and will tear up your tranny. I ride a CR 125 w/o a paddle in the dunes, and i have no problem. I dont know what kind of sand your riding, but if it is not SUPER soft, you'll be fine. Just keep your momentum up and you should have a blast, thats just about all you need to know. I got my 125 2 years agp when i was 12, the first place i rode was dunes, when it was super soft, and i had no problem. I personally love to ride the dunes, its the most fun thing you can do on a bike IMHO. Have Fun and Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider

thanks to both of you. And i only want to be safe because im 15 now and when i get my new vehicle i will have it until im 18. And living in yuma (30 minutes to an hour away from the sand dunes) the sand dunes are so close that the sand blows near the outskirts of the city so i can just ride where i am. And since im going to have to stick with this machine i figure it would be better to get the one that better suits my purpose.