Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Paddle choice for YFZ 450

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle choice for YFZ 450

Sorry this is such a basic question, but I’m new to ATV’s and the sand for that matter. I’ll start off telling what I have and what type of riding I like to do.

Bike -
I have a 06’ YFZ 450 that is stock now, but I will be installing a Yoshimura full system exhaust and a Pro design K&N filter kit today. Within the next few days I will be taking it in to the dealer to get the first service done. At that time I will have them rejet, adjust the valves and do the cam mod (their recommendation).

Riding/experience -
I will be riding in Oregon at Sand Lake and Winchester Bay most of the time. My first riding experience and my first sand experience were good. I liked the tree shots and the bowls…basically just your average all-around riding. I don’t really drag race anybody other than my buddies.

Question –
When I bought the bike I was talked into getting a set of 20x10x10 Hauler Extreme 10 paddles. After meeting people at the dunes and doing lots of reading on sand tires I feel like those aren’t the best setup for my bike and riding type. I like the extremes but I’m thinking about going with less paddles. Would anyone like to recommend a better setup for my quad? I have been doing so much reading on tire size and number of paddles that’s best for the sand…my head hurts.

Again, sorry if this is such a basic question for most of you on here.

Thanks,
Jaromy

Old 02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

All I do is ride oregon dunes and the best set-up for a yfz is 22-11-8 9 paddle extremes on .125 douglas wheels. The 22" tire is better because in oregon there's alot of deep ruts down in the treeshots and they are hard to get out of with only 20" tires. Hey there's a oregon clean-up next month. you should come. goto www.sandlakeduners.com and get info on it. It's a great event and alot of nice people.
thanx

Old 02-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks - I'll check out the site

Old 02-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and buy the tires at this great place... www.smimotorsports.com He has the best tire prices in the northwest and he's local. He's in oregon city. Thats where I buy all my tires at. So do almost everybody I know. IMO, he's the guy you wanna do business with. it's up to you though...
thanx

Old 02-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: SickRider
Oh and buy the tires at this great place... www.smimotorsports.com He has the best tire prices in the northwest and he's local. He's in oregon city. Thats where I buy all my tires at. So do almost everybody I know. IMO, he's the guy you wanna do business with. it's up to you though...
thanx
I have been into SMI a few times. Very knowledgable

Old 02-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

cool... you wouldnt know a guy named andrew/andy that lives in newberg do ya? he has a very nice 350r and banshee. just wondering...

Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: SickRider
cool... you wouldnt know a guy named andrew/andy that lives in newberg do ya? he has a very nice 350r and banshee. just wondering...
I don't know anyone by that name with a 350r and Banshee. I'm new to the quad seen but I'm finding I have lots of friends that ride almost every weekend. Last Sunday I went out to Sand Lake for the first time and met up with about ten other riders from Newberg. The 17th and 18th we will be going to Winchester Bay for my first time.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

oh ok... he's cool and has nice quads. very fast. if ya can make it to sandlake the weekend of the 25th i'll be there and so will he. lemme know...

Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for duning you may want a V paddle.
If you are sticking with haulers the best set up I have found is 21 11 8 6 paddle on .125 rims reg haulers. Dude you are way over paddled. I would go with 7 paddles max, but I like to drag race and the 6 paddles helps keep the front end down.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Dude the sand is ALOT different here in oregon than other places which required more paddles. Ask any actual oregon forums and they will agree with me. If I lived in like utah or cali or something I would run like 2 paddles less. But here in oregon its a big no no.

Quick Reply: Paddle choice for YFZ 450