Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Utah sand junkies just got back from Glamis..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utah sand junkies just got back from Glamis..

We went down for three days. Man was the sand tore up in a big way... Got to see some area of the dunes I hadn't seen five yrs ago.. We camped in Wash 13.. We usually like to bowl and make jumps on some tracks we make up but it was just brutal getting bounced around.. We ran the hills more then we would of normally. We had a Yoshi 450z, Athena 434z and 475 Cannondale all ported by DAB Racing in Utah.. We also has a quadracer 450 w/ the lid off and peashooter out.. It got beat by the others due to it's limited avaliable mods.. It does run good however.. The gearing is terrible for the sand as it's geared for 18" tires not 21" Gliders.. We had a -1 on front off a Z400 to gear it down.. It ran better but needs to be even lower especially to accomodate 21" 8 paddle Gliders..The Athena ran the best and though it wasn't a big weekend it didn't lose to anything.. Beat a 51hp shee twice and a YFZ w/ both w/ 6" extended swingarms and lightened up in weight. Our Z has no lightweight anything or anything cut off.. It looks stock.. The YFZ was on China wall and the shee on Olds.. We could pull 4th at redline on the three modded machines up Olds. My Dale runs right w/ the Athena and the Yoshi close behind.. The 5mm stroke on the Yoshi just won't let it rev like the Athena though both are ported..The Quadracer will get there it's just going to require going inside to do so.. Glamis was fun and worth seeing.. We won't be going back.. Our dunes in Utah and Idaho are as good or better and it's just not worth the 11hr drive to Glamis for us..Riding at sea level produces much more power then our 5000ft elevation and it was very fun having all that extra power..

Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent Report! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

That's tight! oregon dunes is very fun to ride and prolly worth it... May wanna make a trip over here in a few months?

Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

We are coming to Oregon this year or next for sure.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So Sandgod, did you find any descent spots to get some jumping in, and did you get some video? Love watching some of your jumping videos...

We were south of you in Gordons Well and sounds pretty much the same as you...no virgin sand anywhere. It was rough all over...

Old 03-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot my camelback. When we left Utah my trailer had 5" of snow on it so I wasn't thinking of needing water in ther dunes. With that said I had a fanny pack.. I had a choice, water or camcorder.. I chose water as it was 80 outside.. We didn't jump much at all.. The sand was so tore up when we hung out in an area I had to give my **** a break and just hangout.. Some videos of us shooting Olds will be on D U N E R E V I E W by sat afternoon... Wyoduner took the video..

Old 03-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL, yea probably made the right choice there sandgod. It was so hot, we had to stop in the afternoon and go see the sites and sounds of Mexico for a couple hours...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Hey god, not to steal your subject, but I got my rappy back from Dave the other day and I was telling him I have been seeing his name in here. He was pretty excited, said he was starting to get head work from out of state, even said something about one from Israel. Anyway I keep banging him about setting up his bikes with trailer stickers, bike stickers, shirts or whatever. He even talked about putting together a calender with his bikes and local hardbodies. Hit him up if you get the chance. Obviously you are a fan of his work, as am I, so I am trying to put his name out there. His work should get the same fanfare as K&T, Kenz, Craycraft or whoever in my opinion. Sorry Glamis didn't work out that well for you guys, I would agree with your opinion on our local sand, but I would say that St. A is the best on earth, JMO.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

I became a fan of DAB after my bro bought an Athena 434 that he ported. We had a DVX 440 ported by Trinity.. I've never been a fan of Trinity after a personal experience.. We thought the DVX was pretty fast.. Then we climbed on DABS machine. What a joke the Trinity felt like. It was down right slow compared to Dabs machine and they had basically the same parts.. We put the DVX up for sale the next day.. As far as I know Kim from K&T worked for DAB before founding K&T Performance.. I told DAB K&T was doing stroker Z's and he said good. The more competition the better.. Dab, K&T, and Packard don't have to advertise. Utah builders let there work speak for themselves.. DAB sponsers two fast dudes in the Worcs series. www.wasatchquad.com

Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Dave worked for Newgate Honda and did stuff for himself, and K&T in his moms garage until he "saw the light" and started his own stuff if I remember the story right. Up here you ride DAB or K&T, and the two camps, including there owners don't get along that great. In fact, last summer we were up at ST.A, at sandhills and K&T was there. We all ended up at Choke at the same time but we couldn't get any of K&T's guys to race choke. Bro in law's shee is probably one of the fastest non bored, non juiced shees around and K&T (randy) was smart enough to know that Daves bikes are every bit what they rumored to be. Having said that, I too am a fan of K&T's stuff, I am not hating on their wrench skills. Interesting though, (don't want to start stuff), if dave was in s.california, he would be nationally recognized with the s.cal builders, if St. Anthonys and Jericho were in S. cali you would never hear about Glamis, its funny that if it isn't from S. Cal it doesn't exist.