Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Oregon dunes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oregon dunes

heyy everyone im planning a summer vacation trip to oregon next summer and just woundering where the best dunes to ride are. any info is awesome thanks

Old 08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oregon dunes

I like the southern set of dunes the best (Spinreel to Horsfall), which is north of Coos Bay. My second favorite is the northern set (South Jetty to Siltcoos), just south of Florence. My lest favorite is the central set (Umpqua), which is near Winchester Bay.

These dunes aren't anything like the huge wide open bare dunes we have here in California. They are basically a few bare dunes, but mostly dunes covered in forest, with sand trails throughout. We have precious few woods trails here in the desert, so riding Oregon is a great treat for us!

Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Oregon dunes

Duneguide.com

Check it out.

Larry

Old 08-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oregon dunes

thanks guys for the reply

Old 08-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oregon dunes

Just missed some of the most fun times at Oregon Dunes. Dunefest at Winchester Bay, sponsored by the City of Reedsport. GREAT time! Worked the Safari Run put on by Temporaryinsandity and Alba. Huge response! Great drags! If you're coming out, you can actually hit all three major dune riding areas in a couple of days. Winchester Bay has about the tallest dunes. Short from one end of the dunes to the other, though. Florence (above Winchester) is most excellent. Can go down from there to Horsfall/Spinreel and ride the trails and whatever else you want in that area. If you come during the on=season, you may want to look into making reservations at whatever campground you are looking at, gets pretty full in the summer. I think it can be done through ReserveAmerica.com????? If you come off-season, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oregon dunes

thats awesome dsm thanks for the info and id love to hit dune fest iv never been on true sand dunes with my quad so i think dunefest would be a good way to start [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default Oregon dunes

actually If I were you I would make dunefest the most experienced time to go. I guess you could say it is not the most family oriented festival. A lot of the teenage wild men come out then and get really drunk, then they go out and ride carelessly. Now I am not one to nag. But I can say from experience it is one of the more croweded times, and you should have a little past riding time in the dunes before hitting sandfest.

If I were you I would go to coos bay. it is the biggest and has a lot of everything. fast trail riding on the sand trails, and a nice long drag of large dunes that go from Horsfall to spinreel.

I personally like it the best on the oregon side because there is so much, I have been 6 times staying 5 days each. and I stil havent road everything.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Oregon dunes

lancec2 is definitely right about the crowds. Dunefest was always something I wanted to keep the kids and I as far away from as possible because of the bad reputation. But, I was totally shocked this year. VERY family oriented now. I was expecting drunken brawls, carelessness, etc., but I guess the City of Reedsport cracked down pretty hard on all that to try and get it back to being a family event. It seems to have worked, at least for the time being. People being what they are, I'm sure it will unfortunately be ruined again at some point for the rest of us who ride responsibly and like to have fun with our families.

Probably not the best riding time for sure at the Dunes (Dunefest), but a pretty spectacular site to see. I was pretty impressed, especially since I was expecting mostly conduct like lancec2 was describing.

Happy Trails!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oregon dunes

heyy guys thanks for the help

Old 08-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oregon dunes

sand lake is great... i live a little less than 2hrs from sand lake, and i love goin there.... its not too bog and the parking lots tend to get crowded, but if u got a truck that can park out on the sand, then youll be fine... its a great place to ride and you can do everything from wheelieing down the beach, to some sand trails, to draggin up the bowls... its a great place to ride and a good place to learn..

Quick Reply: Oregon dunes