Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

what paddles

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 11:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey someone i need help. I got a 250 recon/ 4stroke and need to know what sand tires/size/ how many paddles would be good. I was looking at the skat trak edge 20" with like 7 paddles

Old 12-30-2000, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

You really need to consider the power you have available. To deep a paddle will take power away from your 250. They will work, but the Sand Devil with it's short paddle would be a better choice, and they cost less. You are correct in thinking of 7 or 8 paddles, you need the floatation. Now depending on what type of riding you will be doing look at a straight cut paddle for draging and climbing. If you want to ride sand trails and do some sweeping at the top of a dune or bowl riding stay with the Sand Devils style. Also look at the Realtor, It is a two way design for sand and mud and a good tire for small cc ATv's. Front sand tires will help, but are not necessary. Your stock fronts are okay. If you want a better tire a front Razor is a better all around choice. Hope this helps and enjoy the sand.

Old 12-30-2000, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

I got bandit front and rear now. i just want to be able to climb hills faster and have more of a chance of making up the hills. Would you be able to roost good with the straight blaid or not. Also would the v blade type such as the edge's be good for climbing.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

Both types of paddles will enable you to climb better. The straight cut paddle takes less power then the v cut. The primary advatage of the v paddle is its ability to help you turn. Sand is a big drain on your available power, so you do not want a paddle that will take even more of the available power. Just do not get a paddle that has to deep of a paddle. Once you get your paddles plan a trip to Little Sahara in Oklahoma. Not the largest dunes but lots of fun. Many Indiana people show up all year long.

Old 12-31-2000, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

I've used v-shaped dune sliders on a Blaster and 300EX. They seem to work very good on lower powered machines. They provide excellent traction and turn ability for the money.

Old 01-03-2001, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Duneman09... Do you ride the dunes with your Scrambler400? If so how is it set up? Me and my riding buddy are planning a trip to Silver Lake and I need to get my Scram ready. (D'ont want to get whipped too bad...)

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2001, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

for a smaller size 4 stroke, like u got, u might want to consider some dune sliders, they are V-paddle with not too tall of a paddle. you'lll need a v paddle on that type of bike to help it turn better because it's gonna wanna push too bad with straight paddles i think

Old 01-03-2001, 09:24 PM
Range Rover

I have Sand Devils front and rear. That is it. I just bought the Srambler two months ago and have used it twice in the Dunes and it is plenty fast. I do plan on the clutch kit and pipe early this summer. The drier the sand the more the paddles help. Have a great time at Silver Lake.

Old 01-04-2001, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

I don't mean to be critical, but you may want to save your money. On a Honda Recon, paddles may not offer much advantage over knobbies. Unless your quad has enough power to spin the paddles, and spin them fast enough to move the quad forward, they will only dig holes. Knobbies will float and if you spin them they won't dig you holes. I had a Trail Boss 325 with knobbies, that worked better than my friends Trail Blazer 250 with Dunehoppers or Dunesliders. These are both low power machines, but have more than the Recon. If you want to dune, save your money and get a more powerfull machine. A Blaster is an inexpensive dune worthy machine.