Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.
View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Sand hills (Dunes) closure
yes
50.00%
no
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closure of private West Texas park The Dunes at Kermit upsets sand-dune riders

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Santa,
Just a note to update my wish list due to circumstances beyond my control.
I no longer need that new RZR, Maverick or YFZ.
I no longer need the set of SuperScoopers and wheels.
I no longer need the light whips and LED bar.
I no longer need those 10” tubes or the grab bar or new gripper seat cover with graphics.
I no longer need the new GPS and unlimited data plan with a tablet.
There is no use for the new RV. No trailer. No camping gear. No fuel or propane.
The tail gate BBQ accessories are no longer needed.
I know, I was really excited to get new riding boots, gloves and a jersey with a matching helmet, but now a Snuggie blanket and a box of bonbons are more desirable.
Will you send one of the elves to speak with my ATV mechanic? Tell him to get a real job. My insurance agent, my grocers, my loan officer and so many more should be advised to tighten their belt too.
Do you need any used ATVs or Buggies at the North Pole? They will only clutter the property and might result in a nasty letter from the Code Enforcement Office…take all the sleigh will hold…they are worthless here.
It’s a struggle to keep little Johnny on the nice list…the girl is more withdrawn than ever (the nightmare of teens, right?!) Please Santa; leave a nice board game under the tree this year so we can make memories that will last a life time.

Sincerely,
DuneDragin

p.s. and a Merry Christmas to you all too.
(may see you at the RETURNS counter)

Old 12-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So that's the only place you ever went? I'm sure it was a great place to go but I'm sure there are other places to go. It seems its closure was a bit of a blindside hit but to completely give up hope and stop riding seems a bit much.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Just some guy from Texas.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having traveled to Colorado many times, most recently back in October of this year, it's appalling to me that Texas doesn't have more riding areas. In Colorado, you can ride just about anywhere you want to - even in State and National Parks. (With some exceptions, obviously.)

There are many places where Texas can and should allow responsible riding that it currently does not. They complain of lack of revenue at the parks, yet they don't allow people to do much when they visit. Seems like the solution to the problem is staring them in the face...

As for this place, well, it's private, so that's that. Can't do much, nor should you be asking anyone else to, unless you'd like someone else telling you what you can and can't do on YOUR private property.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the owners must have gotten fed up with the noise. Or maybe the owners of the surrounding property. People with their too loud exhausts that think they sound cool just annoy the crap out of everyone else. Insurance costs for an offroad park are astronomical I'm sure. It is a huge liability. In the end, you were guests on their property. They no longer want you there. You were paying to visit but I guess in their opinion you weren't worth the trouble. Its hard to change that mindset. The current owners just don't like atvs its clear.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Dune Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
So that's the only place you ever went? I'm sure it was a great place to go but I'm sure there are other places to go. It seems its closure was a bit of a blindside hit but to completely give up hope and stop riding seems a bit much.
Went to 3 different areas in November alone.
Had a GREAT time.
For what we pay to stay...we can buy fuel to go elsewhere.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Dune Rider

I think the owners must have gotten fed up with the noise. Or maybe the owners of the surrounding property. People with their too loud exhausts that think they sound cool just annoy the crap out of everyone else. Insurance costs for an offroad park are astronomical I'm sure. It is a huge liability. In the end, you were guests on their property. They no longer want you there. You were paying to visit but I guess in their opinion you weren't worth the trouble. Its hard to change that mindset. The current owners just don't like atvs its clear.
The surrounding countryside is oil patch...not residential.
Town is 8 miles away. I'm about 46 miles away.

The oil field is all you'll see except for sand.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It is a shame but there's probably nothing you can do. Not everyone shares in the passion for this sport. And some just flat out hate it. I think some people do things just in spite of other people, with no logic involved at all. It seems they just don't want outsiders in there anymore. They don't see it like we do.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Dune Rider
Old 12-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Dune Rider

It is a shame but there's probably nothing you can do. Not everyone shares in the passion for this sport. And some just flat out hate it. I think some people do things just in spite of other people, with no logic involved at all. It seems they just don't want outsiders in there anymore. They don't see it like we do.
the owner is in the blue buggy. A few of "us" pictured.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Dune Rider

it goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.
40 million years or so. The area was public only 11 years ago.
I never really believed the whole "save the dunes" campaign years ago...
but it was now "private"...6 years of progress in the area, down the drain.

I'll admit that I've hated to see what "progress" has done to a natural gem.
They have pushed and cleared and built. It was really was a beautiful sight before they jacked with it.
The "creature comforts" are nice; at a cost of loosing what had been so long ago artfully created.