Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.
View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Sand hills (Dunes) closure
yes
50.00%
no
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closure of private West Texas park The Dunes at Kermit upsets sand-dune riders

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Closure of private West Texas park The Dunes at Kermit upsets sand-dune riders

aka Kermit Sandhills

The report (one of them) HERE.

The Houston Chronicle reports also.

Do you agree with the closure?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's private property so they can do whatever they want with it. No one has a right to make them do anything they don't want to.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:16 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from Current-Argus
KERMIT, TEXAS — The Dunes at Kermit in Kermit, Texas, closed indefinitely on Wednesday after more than a decade operating.

Co-owners, Tony and Steven Underwood, sold the property to an investment company. Tony Underwood said the buyers approached his attorney about the park.

The brothers took over the park six years ago.

Underwood said the investment company that purchased the park decided to close the property to the public.

"They (the investment company) did not explain (why they closed it down)," Tony Underwood said. He said that the difficulty of maintaining the park and liability could have led to the company's decision.

He could not disclose the selling price of the property.

Tony Underwood said he was ready to focus on other businesses he owns.

The public hasn't responded favorably to the sale and subsequent closure, Tony Underwood said. He said since making the announcement about the park's closure on Facebook Wednesday the public has responded with angry comments.

Despite the negative feedback, Tony Underwood said he was grateful for the years he owned the park.

"I just want to say thanks for the good times," he said.

The Dunes at Kermit, located near U.S. Highway 115 in west Texas, allowed visitors to ride all terrain vehicles along the sand dunes, and provided camping, picnic areas and RV hookups.

The park has been closed since the beginning of November for water testing, which the previous owners said did not relate to selling the property.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the end, its sand dunes. What else can you do with them? Its not like you can build anything there. Its basically useless land except for using it as an offroad park. I guess the owner can do whatever they want but I see using it as an offroad park is the only way to make any money off the property.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:18 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

If they do use the land for oil drilling, I could see them still leaving areas open to the public. What company wouldn't like to make more money off land they won't develop?

But then again, I don't have a oil drilling company, so I could be wrong.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:05 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, riding space is closing up. I can think of 5 areas that have disappeared in West Texas since the 80's. You can thank lawsuits and disrespectful people for some of them. If the state was friendly to OHV's and would open up some areas of the Monahans State Park for riding, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I understand the liability involved with private land and public use, but the state doesn't have that problem. Worse part is they've talked about closing Monahans for 20 years because they can't generate enough revenue. They'd make a killing with ATV'ers. I'm thinking people should get a hold of their representative. May be our last shot for sand in West Texas.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if they don't get a lot of people to come there, its not like it costs anything to keep it open. There's no trail maintenance crew needed to maintain trails. Its just basically a desert. I understand if there is oil there and they choose to drill for it but that would only take up a small portion of the total area. The revenue generated by the park is basically free money.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

How much does land cost in West Texas out in the dunes? Any chance of ATV enthusiasts buying land that would work for their needs?

Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
How much does land cost in West Texas out in the dunes? Any chance of ATV enthusiasts buying land that would work for their needs?

Like it's made of gold....black gold that is.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

"Closed from liability and money issues." That's better than having about 70 acres closed off by the Corp of Engineers because of noise complaints from home developers and new home owners. Happened in the mid 80's and people had been riding there for almost 25 years.Extremely loud cycles and atvs were to blame on this. Caused everyone to lose the privilege to ride.5 minutes from my home and the son and I came one Saturday and the gates were chained with a no riding sign. It's been there ever since. In your case at least a possibility of it opening back up in the future. Really hope it does as riding areas are shrinking for everyone.