Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Flags for the dunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001 | 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I could not use the flags I bought at SilverLake at Little Sahara in OK because they have writing on them. I folded the side over that had the writing to make a triangle.

If your poles are tall enough, you can get replacement flags for the poles that will be legal.

The poles from DuneLaned and Appletree's at Silver Lake are really thick at the base and taper down to the top. I have never broke one. I have broke a couple of the cheap (made cheap, not cheap price) ones though.

Old 05-09-2001 | 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I use the heavy duty flags like the ones they sell near Silver Lake. Watch out if you start the drag races using one of these flags. One Sunday I was there and started about fifteen or twenty races with my flag- I didn't notice that while I was pulling the flag pole down and letting it go that I was fatiguing the weld on the flag mounting bracket. After starting the races I took off for a couple more laps around the dunes and then went back to the truck. Back at the truck I noticed that my flag was gone! Not only was the flag gone but so was the bracket off the subframe. Now I have a gaping hole in the subframe tubing where the bracket used to be. Those heavy duty flag poles are so stiff that they really transfer a lot of strain to the mounting bracket.

Old 05-10-2001 | 01:50 AM
|
Trailblazer

Well, I looked at the flag bracket for dirt bikes, made by Hinson Racing, on their website. Being "good with tools" (that's what my wife tells people), I scrounged up some heavy aluminum angle brackets, and made one for my son's bike, and welded a nice piece on my quad's grab bar for myself. You guys were right, with a little time, you can make your own, specially once you see one.
I'll just have to get to the dunes early enough to buy the flags there, and maybe poles too, if mine aren't tall enough.
We're going as soon as school is out, 3rd week of June. Wife will be out (she's a schoolteacher), and ditto for boys. In the hope of finding a hotel to spend the night, so we can stay for a couple of days, and run into a smaller crowd, we'll be going midweek. Hope to see some of you there: look for the white enclosed bike trailer, with the Honda red wing on both sides, that says "Without The Wing, You Can't Fly", and #13.
Thanks all.

Old 05-10-2001 | 06:16 AM
Pro Rider

we're headin back up June 9th. hopfully I'll get in another trip before then, but definetly June 9th.

midweek is the best, I'm for sure going to plan another midweek trip for this summer. you'll have a blast. there is plenty of places to stay up there. check this out http://www.oceana.net/silverlake/

Old 05-11-2001 | 01:15 AM
|
Trailblazer

Ok, went to the web site, and found a very long page listing hotels, camping grounds, etc. Looks like plenty to choose from, and close by. I'm going to try priceline.com first, and see if I can get some CHEAP rates in the area. Loose nothing by trying to save a little. The only thing I couldn't find was a list of regs for the dunes. I'm going to call the park people, and see if there's anything I REALLY SHOULD KNOW, before I get there, and stand with my mouth hanging open, like a fool

Old 05-11-2001 | 05:31 AM
Pro Rider

check out this site and see if it answers any questions you might have.http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/ParkDetai...D=63&Mode=4701
if you're going during midweek you can ignore all of the voucher info. the vouchers are used during the weekends and holidays only.

I can tell you this, the first time you go is always the most expensive because you have to buy all the required garbage. here is a list.

michigan ORV sticker $16.25
has to be on every vehicle that enters the dunes.

daily pass $4
or annual pass $20 (good all year)
must buy one for every vehicle entering the parking lot (including all bikes on trailers etc.).

flags $19
you already know the story here.

I cant think of anything else. after all that you should be ready to enjoy the dunes.

Old 05-21-2001 | 01:11 AM
|
Trailblazer

Got a big envelope from the Michigan ODNR yesterday, and it duplicates the same info Skull gave in previous post.
What it amounts is, that once you have your permits, flags, etc, you're good for the year. I also received an orange warning letter, that they're going to start noise level testing in 2002. The regs also state that spark arrestors are mandatory (I haven't seen an MX bike with a spark arrestor yet, but I guess they expect the sand to burn): When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
The best news I got over the phone with the park folks, was the ability to take the non-riders to the beach area in your truck (flag equipped, of course) through the dunes, after unhooking the trailer, thus avoiding a long walk for the wife, and keeping in her good graces.
Thanks to all who responded for your help!

Old 05-21-2001 | 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

The thing with the spark arrestors is that they are required for all MI state parks. I have been there in past years where they did not enforce this at the dunes. However, it is the tactic of enviro-***** to sue whatever organization enforces the rules of a riding area for not enforcing them.

I prefer the FMF turbine core silencer to a clamp on spark arrestors. It is less restrictive than the screen type, looks better and does not fall off.

Old 05-30-2001 | 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

do you need proof of owner ship when you get your stickers for the dunes?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2001 | 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Not at Silver Lake or Little Sahara (no stickers, wrist bands).

Quick Reply: Flags for the dunes