Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

My new toy

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you may have seen the Feb Dirt Wheels review on the Drakart Formula Cross. If not, here its is again.

Here are some pictures of mine.

Old 07-25-2001, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Sweet man!! How fast will it go?? good accl?? fill us in!

Old 07-27-2001, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

It will do about 100 on hard pack. I figure it will probably do about 90 on the sand once I get paddles. I am special ordering some 12 paddle Edge Haulers. I think I can run 14s, but I will try 12s first.

The acceleration is great. I raced, among other things, a couple Pilots with full race ported CR500 cylinders and still pulled the holeshot.

When driving it, I do not get a full feeling of how fast I am going. I think this is do to the large suspension travel (15",14&quot and the body panels reducing the amount of ground that I can see going by. It is when I am passing someone that I get a sense of how fast I am going.

Alain Fricker, the owner of Drakart, has brought units to Silver Lake and people test drive them. If you think you want one and test drive one, you will want one. The units he brought were setup with a more plush suspension. I had mine setup for MX so it is not as plush as the test units. It is still a far better ride than my FL350 Odysseys or a Pilot.

I first thought adjusting to foot controls would be difficult and that it would be hard to keep even control of the throttle. It was not. There is a brace on the floor for my heels. I can then just rock my foot for the throttle. I have not had any problems with throttle control in rough terrain.

Old 07-27-2001, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

Great machine. Keep us posted on how it goes in the sand once you have your paddles. Also. Is the trailer in your pictures yours ? I have been looking for a light duty 83" plus by 18' with the wheels "under" the trailer floor in order to take full advantage of the width. Can't find anything except super heavy duty ones that I do not need.

Old 07-27-2001, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

The Drakart is already very fast in the sand with the Holeshots. It spins them up so fast that it gets moving good anyways. I never had a problem geting stuck stopping on a slightly upward incline. From what I have heard, on the big dune everyone goes up at Glamis (test, comp, whatever it is called) a Drakart can stop then start moving again. That was running 12 paddle Edge Haulers.

The trailer was lower and narrower before I got it. I put taller leaf spring mounts on it to raise it up so the tires would not come above the deck and welded extensions on the sides. The trailer was heavy duty for it's original width. It is more light duty now with the extra weight of the extensions. With the taller height, I do not need to run a big drop hitch on my 4x4 truck.