Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

If you havent tried St. Anthonys sand dunes...you missing out!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there this past weekend also. We camped at the sand hills resort.

I had heard about how bad the owners were also. But I had not problems. My only real complaint is that they pack you in there pretty tight and that you cannot go out riding past 10pm, because of the quiet hours.

I am not much of a night rider, but once in awhile I like to do it.

I want to go back, but am not sure where I want to camp this time. I like the grass and trees at the camp ground, but would like to be closer to the big stuff also. I did make it over to thunder mtn, but not over to choke cherry.

Glad everyone had a fun trip and maybe next time we will see you out there.

Bat

Old 06-27-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

We are shooting for another trip in Aug. You would probably like Egin lake to camp.I did notice how cramped they had all of you over at Sand Hills.They gotta rake in the dough! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hopefully the expantion over at Egin will be done soon.A girl told me they are putting more camp spots down towards the water,and alot of restrooms,hopefully showers too.That was the nice part about staying at Best Western.If you go up in Aug. look me up,by then all the bad weather should be gone..Glad you enjoyed your trip. Tina~~

Old 06-27-2002, 06:11 AM
Range Rover

I've only stopped in at S.H. Resort once, to pick up my Idaho ATV permit. The woman there seemed very nice, but they do pack them in like sardines.
It is a "family" type of atmosphere, could be the reason for the strict rules.
The BLM closed our usual camping spot 1/2 mile from S.H., guess some people trashed it pretty bad, that's why we had to camp next to the road.
It gets pretty crowded there on holidays, nice that there wasn't that many people last weekend, just a little safer riding and I acually got some sleep.
Later.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Kodiakbob, are you saying that you can get an Idaho OHV permit at the S.H. Resort?

Old 06-27-2002, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

Tina, yes, Sand Hills Resort sold two permits to me ($10.00 per ATV), and sold me a flag w/mast for $10.00. It takes about 10 minutes for them to write up. There's lots of places to get permits. Gas stations, ATV shops, maybe sporting goods stores too.
S.H. also had some cool colored silk flags, with thier resort name on them, $10.00 each (w/o mast). If you need a "few" groceries they have them too, not a lot though. Better shop for all of your needs before you get there.
The store at S.H. beats the "trailer" that is at Egin Lake, although he has some neat T-shirts.
Later.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Whats this about ATV permits? We will be going to ST Anthonys this coming Monday. Is this the same as a DMV registration? Or is it somthing different. Please explain. TIA

Old 06-28-2002, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

I think he is referring to the "off road vehicle stickers"you will need them in order to ride at the dunes.They do have police that patrol out there too.You can pick one of these at the resort, or at any ATV dealer.Have fun on your trip!!

Old 06-28-2002, 10:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here in California we have to register with the DMV. They issue you an offroad sticker that goes on our quads. I don't suppose that will satisfy huh? Thanks for the info.

Old 06-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

All four of my quads are registered in Idaho(you know, with plates)but, the off road sticker was separate.The nice thing about plates is, you can ride in any county,there is a few countys here that will fine you for not being registered.I would check withthe Chamber of commerce in Rexburg Idaho(they a close to St. Anthonys and ask them for sure,or send the folks at sand hills resort an email or call them and they should be able to tell you.They also require you to use a flag.good luck and have fun!!

Old 06-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks, others have said that out of state registration is sufficient. Thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: If you havent tried St. Anthonys sand dunes...you missing out!!