Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

If you havent tried St. Anthonys sand dunes...you missing out!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from my firts trip to St.Anthonys sand dunes, and let me tell you...those are the BIGGEST dunes I have ever seen!!! They are incredible!! I reccomend anyone wanting a to the take trip there, to take several days there,they go for miles and miles,i was there and never got to see it all a 4 days. We have a 400ex and a 300 ex and these dunes were a big challenge for my 300ex even with straight paddles.so if you plan on doing any serious climbing,bring your straight paddles. My only complaint was, I never met up with anyone that said they were going up.I will have to stay at the resort or Egin lake next time.(I liked Egin lake the best).I will be going up again in Aug. for those who will be going.Let us know.

Old 06-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

We also just returned from St. Anthony! We loved it there and couldn't believe the size of the dunes there. I forgot what kind of rigs everyone had that was going to be there, so thats why we couldn't find any of you! Sorry!!! We stayed our first night at Desert Oasis in the dry camping area, but we have two kids and it was just too dusty and boring out there for them, so we moved over to Egin lakes on Sunday and loved camping there! I don't know why anyone would stay at the Resort, my gosh that place is a long ride from the big dunes! We rode out there and couldn't believe the distance just from the lake. It is a hard place to ride with kids is the only thing I have to say bad about the place. Our daughter had an Eton 90 and it just wouldn't go anywhere. But overall we loved it and the weather was great and the drive from Oregon wasn't all that bad. We also went to Yellowstone for the day on Tuesday and all loved that, but we didn't see any bears, so we made a trip to Yellowstones Bear World thats right out of Rexburg and really enjoyed that!

Old 06-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Z400chick~~ I cant believe we didnt meet!We were at Egin lake for the whole 4 days we were there!!We also brought our 2 kids, we had an Eton viper 50cc, and a Kasea skyhawk90cc, both gutless out there,even w/the new tires,there just isnt a good spot for the young ones to ride, that was one of our complaints.We were the ones that had the gazebo tent next to the lake all day .I had a blast taking my 300ex across the lake.We are going up w/o the kids in Aug.,so that maybe we can enjoy it even more,we never got to ride once together since we had the kids,DId you go to chokecherry?we didnt.too far,and besides, neither once of us would have made it.Both of us barely made it up the back side of thunder mnt.I rolled my 300ex the first 15 minutes I was up there!Rolled it on a bowl. Talk about humiliating!!Im ok though..and so is my quad.I in the need for more power,so Im thinking about getting the z400 also(husband talked me out of it the first time,should have got it anyways![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) well, Im glad you enjoyed your trip,maybe we will see ya when we go to Ore. next year....

Old 06-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Z400chick~~ By the way...Where is Beaver creek? I used to live on the Ore. coast in Hebo.Thats between Beaver and cloverdale.

Old 06-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did see you there by the lake, we were the ones driving by you everyday with all the floaties and such. I usually had my little one with me on my Z400 and my oldest was on her Eton. How funny!

Beavercreek is just South of Oregon City. We're out of Portland not on the coast. I know where you're talking about though. I think we're going to Sand Lake over 4th of July. Not our favorite spot to ride, but our oldest daughter is going to camp and we have to take her there on Sat. and it's just outside of Lincoln City, so it's the closest riding area to there. It will be nice to ride somewhere you know every spot sense I didn't get to ride much at St. Anthony cuz of the kids.

No I never made it out to any of the big places except for Thunder Mt. and the Middle Bowl. My husband went out and recorded all the big ones. He made it up everything with his Banshee. He tried to take mine up but it just wasn't jetted right.

I don't know if we'll go back there anytime real soon cuz theres so many other place I want to try out too. So many places to ride, so little time!! We're going riding down at North Bend for Labor Day, have you ever rode there? I think you guys would like it, nothing as big there as St. Ahthony but still lots of fun riding. Tracy

Old 06-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

TNT-Q, wyorider here, from the other forum. I was up there last weekend, but never made it to Choke Cherry. I'm sorry we couldn't hook up, would of been fun. A few rookies and kids were with us so we couldn't ride that hard, your family would have been welcome to ride along. We camped just past Sand Hills resort on the left side of the road. We rode on the other side of the road most of the time. Lots of jumping going on there, and just one big hill. Don't know what it's called, but it's fun to speed up in 2nd gear full throttle and catch 10 feet of air (off the ground) on the other side.
Next time we'll have to comunicate better, e-mails and cell phones.

Old 06-26-2002, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Z400chick~~ Never rode at North Bend, but Ive been there,Its been awhile though.We have rented a few buggies in the summer in Florence though,now that was fun!!We are going to try to shoot for the Ore. coast next year,Florence or Winchester bay.I have family in Calf. that likes to ride in Ore. that wants to go.Well. we will have to hook up and maybe the kids too if we come next summer to the coast.I want to go to a new place every year.How old is your daughter?Mine is 8.She is an awesome rider.She just learned in about 15 min. how to ride our 400ex!!(with us right by her side of course..im a nervous wreck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )She wants to ride here at OMC with the mini quads really bad. Im waiting for a pipe from Trinity racing.Well, I hope you and your family have a great trip over labor day.Keep in touch and let us all know how your trip goes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Tina~~

Old 06-26-2002, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Kodiakbob~~~ Did you ride up by thunder mnt. at all? Man, I wish we could have hooked up with others.Its not as fun riding by yourself.Did you have a good trip?All things considered.We did,wish the weather was better though(damn wind!)I guess next time we should all do better planning.Im going to go up again in Aug. for a few days.By then I will probably sweat to death!! We went to our local dunes for 3 days as soon as we got back and that was good too.I have a killer picture of the hubby jumping near Egin lake. I wish I could figure out how to post on a forum.(never done it before)its pretty good!!!anyhow, hope your trip went well... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

Tina, we didn't even get as far as Thunder this time, usually we do. That is another hill to race up and catch air over. The problem is, it's so far from our regular camp site, play time is reduced due to the fuel we use just getting there.
Also how long you want to party into the night dictates where you camp at St. Anthony Dunes. We are normally 2AM people, I think the curfew at Egin Lake is 11PM. And Sand Hills Resort is still at least a 1/4 mile away so we don't bother any one there either.
One more thing, the sand at S.H. Resort is much less chopped up than around Egin Lake, doesn't beat you up as bad. I guess that's why we hang out there.
Later, Bob

Old 06-26-2002, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

i will have to try the sand over by sand hills next time.It is definetleychoppy over there,the kids had a heck of a time riding .we have heard what jerks the owners are over there at sand hills,so we didnt even attempt to stay there.we actually stayed in a motel.we would have had to stay in tents,we dont have trailer yet,just for the quads.we did here that they are expanding over at Egin lake,so there will be somewhere closer to the big dunes for all.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really wanted to see choke,but we didnt want to ride by ourselves in case someone got stranded,and from what we heard from others, not many people went our that wk. anyway.~~~Tina

Quick Reply: If you havent tried St. Anthonys sand dunes...you missing out!!