Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Z-400 and C-Dale @ Saint Anthony's......

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode them around for two days in the very soft sand Idaho has to offer. I ran Dunlop Z tires, 20" 8 paddle Sand Devils, 20" 6 paddle Gliders on the Dale. I climbed hills easier and w/ more confidence w/ Gliders then Sand Devils. Sand Devils have to much bite and bog the quad down quicker and found myself always shifting to stay moving as I was just riding around. Glamis and LS, Utah have a harder type sand and I like it better. I didn't try Choke Cherry, but found hills just as steep and could get up in second gear. I saw a bone stock Z get up Choke Cherry. The guy weighed a buck twenty five. I think I could have pulled second up the hill. Didn't ride the wifes Z much, but my brothers has a full pipe and runs great. It doesn't have the grunt up the soft hills like the Dale, but the Dale has nothing on it in the big bowls. I think the Z needs a 20" 7 paddle. I would like to try a 7 paddle on the Dale too. The Z feels lighter and gets on top of the sand better then the Dale. My Dale was climbing hills as fast as fully piped Raptors. The Z's run cool. My Dale's fan was ALWAYS on. I can't wait for my pipe and Moto mapping. Saint Anthonys is a great place to ride and well worth any length of distance you must drive...

Old 07-11-2002, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Hey...what wekk were you up there?We just got back the end of june from there..We have a 300ex and a 400exI would love to get the Z400..been wanitng it for awhile now,Im needing more power,had a bad experience at St.Anthonys with mine ..I would have loved to see a four-stroke climb Choke cherry..Everyone i have talked to says they have never seen it done,I know our 400ex couldnt do it,maybe with the 440 kit..Got any pics of your trip??Her are afew of mine near Egin Lake, thats where we stayed most of our ttip.We are going back up the middle of Aug.hope to hit the BIG dunes then!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] St.Anthonys

Old 07-11-2002, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

dunes not sure what I did,but you will need to click on this link instead [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2002, 07:20 AM
Range Rover

hey sandgod you should be running way more paddle on your dale, especially when you get the pipe,remap. you have pleanty of power to turn 10 paddle taller haulers and they should make you bike rip up anything. i have 8 paddle haulers on my stock Z and they are great, after i get my pipe, filter on i may have to go 9 paddle. just a thought.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

It is very easy to over paddle a quad. Idaho's sand is very soft w/ lots of big big dunes. I don't know how the sand is in Oregon, but A Dale will never turn a ten paddle in Idaho or Utah. Both places are at 5000ft w/ dry air and we lose hp at this elevation. Another thing is you never put a Sand Skate II or a paddle w/ such a deep cup on it. You want the quad to rev freely and most people think a deeper paddle is getting them maximum foward traction when it's not. There is a fine line if you want the best performance and most people forget that. Bigger is not better.....

Old 07-12-2002, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

Sand god~~ you took the words right out of my mouth !! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sandgod - just so you know and aren't worried about the Cannondale "Running Hot" - the cooling fan kicks on at 176F degrees - it turns off at 159F deg -- it's very likely that the LTZ is kicking on and off at higher temperatures as these settings are pretty low on the CD.

Old 07-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, that's good to know. The Z's do run waaay cool though...

Old 07-14-2002, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I notice is the bump at the bottom is smaller then when I was there two years ago. The run seems to be a little nicer. I never got into third on my 295r two years ago. The sand was softer that time I went two years ago as well. The fingers are taller and steeper on the left side of Utah's Sand Mtn..

Old 07-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

St Anthonys and Little Sahara Utah are both great places to ride. St Anthonys has more to do and is funner IMO. Here are a lot of quick downloads of videos we shot while at both of these places over the last 2 weeks. Stock Raptors and Z's climbing Choke cherry along with almost everything else.

Videos

Quick Reply: Z-400 and C-Dale @ Saint Anthony's......