Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Sand Lake over the 4th and never a dull moment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually don't like to go to Sand Lake, but senes we had some friends from Eastern Oregon going it was the closest place to go. We got there Wed. night and set up camp. Thur. all was going well until we let our 9 year old give our friends little girl (5 years old) a ride on her Eton 90. It was the first time we'd let her give anyone a ride and my husband told the little girl to get her feet pulled back, but my daughter said she tried to adjust herself and thats when the toe of her shoe got caught in the sprocket. Thank goodness they weren't going any faster! Her big toe did get the worst of it and it ripped the toenail off and the second toe the nail might come off but overall it wasn't nearly as bad as it could of been. My husband is going to be adding some kind of shield for the chain, but no more riding double for our kids! Then on Friday afternoon we were hanging around camp and we had our chairs set up in front of our trailer so we could see the flats and everyone racing around, when all of a sudden we hear "Oh my God she just fell off her bike" We come running out to see what had happened and this quad comes ripping through our camp and misses one of our friends by 4 inches where he was sitting in a chair and my frineds little boy by about a foot where he was playing with sand toys. Thank goodness it got caught up in our camp chiars or it would of flown into our friends Ford truck. I guess the girl riding the quad just got going too fast and the bike got away from her and she fell off the back as the quad got a little sideways and the quad flipped once breaking the throttle and off it went right for our camp! The girl was shaken up but fine. They also had lots of drag racing set up both Friday and Sat. Friday it was over at the far end of the flats, but Sat. it was set up right in the middle of the flats. My husband had been out the day before with our Ford F-350 Diesel with a chip in it and was racing, and to his suprise beating all the gas engine trucks! Well, he got out there again Sat. and was up against another Ford but a V-10 supercharge and he had him but was really close so they were still on the throttle after the 100 yards but was nearing the turn around area and all of a sudden my husband see's a quad out of the corner of his eye so he hammers on the brakes but the other truck was on his right, so the quad speeds up but doesn't see the other truck and by the time the truck saw him there wasn't enough time to stop and he hit him. The guy on the quad had a broken femer and a broken hip. He could of easily lost his life. We have riden at Sand Lake lots of times but have never had the number of things happen that happened this weekend. Hope everyone else had a less eventfull 4th of July!!

Old 07-09-2002, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sounds like my season this year every trip to the dunes ended in a trip to the hosp. hope every one is alright.