Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Where to camp in Winchester Bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to camp in Winchester Bay

We are planning our first trip to oregon and want to know if Discovery Point is a good place to camp.We need full hook ups and probably pull through sites with dune access. Also when is the best weather?We are thinking about the first or second week in July. I heard that the Koa farther south is nice, but the dunes arent as good as Winchester Bay area. Just looking for some good info. Thanks

Old 01-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

Discovery point has everything you asked for[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] also has a few cabins to rent, showers, laundry room, a store and a shop with parts...nice place weve always enjoyed our stay(s) there...As far as the weather is concerned, its the Oregon coast.... my rain gear always makes the trip, anytime of year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Dunerash, are there any other campgrounds to consider staying at or is that the best place to stay? Can kids ride there or is it pretty difficult to ride? Any good websites i should check out? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2003, 09:56 PM
GAR
Trailblazer

You should plan to ride Coos Bay also. There is riding for all age's and abilities at both places. You can see the Coos Bay dunes from the high dunes at Winchester. Coos Bay is a much larger area.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

The KOA will put you between Horsefall and Spinreel (the Coos Bay Dunes). It is a very big area compared to Winchester. Winchester is a good trip for one or two days, but if you want some variety all you've got to do is head south about 20 miles, and you are in Coos Bay. Discovery point is a good full hook-up campground, but I'd say the KOA is nicer, and Honeyman State Park is nice too up at Florence. I'd say if you are making the trip to Oregon, you should hit all three riding areas. My club will be riding down there the first Friday through Monday after the 4th of July. I think we'll be camping at Horsefall. Good Sand-Drags at Boxcar (long hill).

Check out out4sand.com, oohva.org, and quadrider.com These sites should all have some good info for you.

Old 01-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

How strict are they on the sound restrictions. From looking at sound tests it looks like all our machines are over the 93 decibal limit. Doesn't anyone have a pipe on there machine out there. Thanks for all the good information.

Old 01-03-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

It's pretty obvious when they are testing. But that's usually just on holiday weekends. If you camp at Coos Bay, you'll never get bothered. I've never seen a sound check at Winchester either, but I hear that Florence is a popular place for the cops, since the state campground is right there. It makes it easy for them to sit at the exit of the campground and check people. Just remember when you are riding from the parking lot or campground to keep the RPM's down and you'll be fine. Oh, and don't hot dog around the parking area or camp sites. Once you're 100 yards away from the parking area you're fine. If there are no sound cops there (in their green or white Ford 4x4's), you've got nothing to worry about. There are enough people acting like idiots out there to keep the rest of us in the clear.

Old 01-03-2003, 02:01 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

There is a decent little artical about Winchester Bay in the "ATV Sport 2003 Buyers Guide" Issue, page 60. There are some phone numbers as well as a few web address's for info.

Winchester Bay is a Great place to ride. Make sure and give Banshee Hill a run. Have fun!

Old 01-03-2003, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

We stayed at the Marina RV Resort in Winchester a year ago. This however, is a VERY nice RV park($200,000 to $500,000 plus motorhomes everywhere) that has certain rules concerning ATVs. Our particular setup allows us to keep the quads inside and out of sight at night, something that is required at this place. You also do not have direct dune access from the park and have to trailer your stuff to the dunes. We didn't mind as this allowed us to take the 5er out everyday and we had everything we needed. After riding for the day, we would pull back in, hook up the water ,sewer, and power(5min job) and enjoy the QUIET and CLEAN (pavement and grass)areas and beautiful view that this place has to offer. No camp racing, bike tuning, screaming stereos and such goes on there. I will stay at NO other place than this when we do Oregon. Check out their website for info and pics of the park.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just don't wan't to drive for 20 some hours and be turned away for a simple sound issue like being 3 to 7 decibals over the limit. Maybe i'am just worring to much. In Most of the pictures it looks like alot of people have pipes and from the sound chart it looked like almost every pipe fails the test. I cant wait to get out there and tear up some sand! So it sounds like you wan't to stay away from the state park areas if you have sound issues. Is there Beach access from most riding areas? Once again i thank you all for the good information.

Quick Reply: Where to camp in Winchester Bay