Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change it every year because I hate belts. LOL

I came from Honda.

Is it slipping, do I smell it burning, is it going to break, how long will it last, there's that stupid CVT light................

Something I never use to worry about.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If only Honda had made something with more power, you might still be riding a Honda. The new Rubicon is still a fine machine but has just barely over half the power and still costs just as much as a new Brute Force. If you opted for eps and the dct transmission, the Rubicon might cost even more.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
If only Honda had made something with more power
That's the exact reason I'm not still riding a Honda.

They could own the market if they chose to.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
I change it every year because I hate belts. LOL

I came from Honda.

Is it slipping, do I smell it burning, is it going to break, how long will it last, there's that stupid CVT light................

Something I never use to worry about.
The big key with belts is to run the quad in low range if you're going to be doing slow riding. High is only for pretty continuous driving at speeds above 15 mph. (Depends on brand) For your riding I don't think you'd need high range too much. (That almost sounds insulting. )

Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Something about the gearing in the BF. It must be pretty low.

I use high the vast majority of the time. There are a lot of times I'm only going like 10 mph on trails and look to see if I'm in low or high.

The engine revs around 12,000 rpm and I'm lucky on a long flat straightaway to get 63 mph out of it.

I got 3000 miles on the first belt before it needed to be adjusted. I just replaced it and do it once a year since.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I use high the vast majority of the time. There are a lot of times I'm only going like 10 mph on trails and look to see if I'm in low or high.

The engine revs around 12,000 rpm and I'm lucky on a long flat straightaway to get 63 mph out of it.

I got 3000 miles on the first belt before it needed to be adjusted. I just replaced it and do it once a year since.
How'd the belt look when you took it off?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I got up to 68 mph a couple times on the 650 Outlander Max. Pretty comparable to the Brute, power-wise. So, you probably got pretty close to top speed. Don't know if I'm brave enough to see how fast the Outlander Max Ltd. will go with the 1000 cc.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my King Quad up to 64 mph once. Its got a little more top end past that but not much. I almost never get a chance to go that fast anyway. I don't like how it handles at high speeds anyway, front end feels really twitchy. 40-45 mph is about as fast as I would want to go continously, that's a good crusing speed. Low range isn't used much, its really low. I got it up to I believe 27-28 mph in low and that's about as fast as it would go. I would rather not go past 20 mph in low. Anything over 15 mph I would just use high range. I think the only time recently I used low purposely was pulling my trailer from the back yard to front. Its light enough it probably could still easily pull it in high too but for speeds that slow I just put it in low to be safe.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

The belts I take off always look brand new. LOL

I gave my last one to a guy who put it on his machine.

Doug gave me this 2012 850 Touring to put some miles on back in 2012.
With only 200 miles on it I opened it up on the HWY and hit 78 mph - I'm sure that when I gave it back to Doug with closer to 1200 miles on it I could have hit 80 mph.

No reason to ride a "utility" that fast.

My BF would kill it up to maybe 30 mph and then the Polaris would just fly right past me. LOL

Old 06-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

The belts I take off always look brand new. LOL

I gave my last one to a guy who put it on his machine.

Doug gave me this 2012 850 Touring to put some miles on back in 2012.
With only 200 miles on it I opened it up on the HWY and hit 78 mph - I'm sure that when I gave it back to Doug with closer to 1200 miles on it I could have hit 80 mph.

No reason to ride a "utility" that fast.

My BF would kill it up to maybe 30 mph and then the Polaris would just fly right past me. LOL
If no one has mentioned it, it's easier to pull a trailer with both tires on the ground. I'd be worried about belt wear too. Where'd you get a torsion axle that's only about 48" long?

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah