Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Old 08-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Great pics, I like the bag on the Rubicon. Most might want a bigger bag but it looks like it would be plenty big enough for me. Enough room for a small soft cooler and a few other things, would be perfect for me.
The thing I like most about it is that a helmet fits inside it.

I carry too much crap and need more room.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

A couple more pics from yesterday.

This what we got done yesterday.

Hauling in the material is a huge task all in itself.
These trailers even with only one 12' timber weigh close to the machine hauling it in and there's a few steep hills that are very soft and difficult to find any traction. Only one 12' timber per run.
We had 4 trailers going all day yesterday and one of the trailer broke down.
They are at the yard trying to repair it this morning.
Bryan, with the Forest Service called me last night and asked if the Committee would purchase another ATV Wagon dump trailer. I told him to just go pick one up Monday at Jogensen's and have them bill us.
I drove over to Beaver and picked up our 3rd ATV Wagon this morning. That should make 6 trailers total.

So far soo good. We have another long boardwalk to replace over on the Gooseberry Trail and about 1/2 dozen shorter ones.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:57 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never seen an ATV boardwalk that long before. It's looking really good so far. The box on the ATV going up the hill looks just like the Tamarack box my friend has on his Grizzly. It saved him and his quad from being damaged any worse than they were when he flipped it on a gravel road. It looks like it hasn't rained there in over a month. That would suck for anyone but the leader of a group ride.

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-27-2018, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Its a Tamarack box. I have the same one on my ATV.

That's about all the Forest Service will buy out here because they do a good job keeping the dust out.

You just need to follow way behind. LOL

Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
Yep, this is the place.
Thought it looked familiar. Haha.... Very nice!

Old 08-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Specta

Long day Wednesday. Started out at 7:30 AM at the Forest Service yard loading material for a trail project.

We loaded my ATV trailer and the back of my pickup with these pressure treated 2x6 planks.

I appreciate being able to use either State Park or Forest Service ATVs for these work projects.

Paul didn't get a big enough run at the first hill.
This was one of the few times I wished I had that 850 Touring that I had a few years ago.
Plenty of power and it was heavy. These trailers loaded out weigh the Rubicons that we were towing them with.

This is the main project. Removing and installing a new boardwalk across this marsh.
Its 233 ft long. We figure about 450 planks plus the 12' 8x8 timbers to screw them to plus the 8x8 timbers that will go under the 12' runners.

We'll replace the long boardwalk plus 3 smaller ones like this one.

John and I hauled in 168 planks. It took a few trips.
On our first run with the trailers fully loaded we had to winch up a section of trail about 100 yards.

There's a lot more to haul in plus tons more planks that haven't been cut yet.

Total cost for the material was close to $30,000 which our Committee paid for.
This is what we do. We oversee the Paiute Trail. This year alone we will donate over $70,000 in materials to maintain and upgrade the trail system plus lots of volunteer man hours.

I was treated t a beautiful sunset on my way home to boot.

I'm going back for more on Saturday.

I know you hate them but a Polaris Big Boss 570 6x6 or a Can-Am Outlander 6x6 650 or 1000 would be ideal for those kinds of projects.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Last Sunday I headed out to pre-ride one the the rides I'm going to be guiding this week for the Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree.

That's Otter Creek State Park. That's where we'll be riding from.

For some reason these are my favorite kind of trails.

The BLM and the US Forest service are contemplating closing the Hickman Switchbacks and building a bypass
due to injuries and a fatal accident last year when someone rolled off the trail and was killed.
I personally am apposed to them closing this section off.

This is my favorite time of the year to be out riding.

Lunch time. The fall colors are here already.

This is my favorite section of the ride. The ride is 55 miles with some awesome views and trails.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I know you hate them but a Polaris Big Boss 570 6x6 or a Can-Am Outlander 6x6 650 or 1000 would be ideal for those kinds of projects.
Yep, I would have to agree. We just have to use what they have.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Great pics and video, Specta! We'll be on the road in 9 days! Can't wait to ride the Swell and explore more of the Paiute. Where is Otter Creek?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:03 PM
THE BERMINATOR

One trail I used to ride a lot had a fork in it. One way was Most Difficult and the other was More Difficult. More Difficult than Most Difficult? It was a smallish hill and the trails met up once you got past the top of it. Neither one was difficult for me except in the winter and I quit riding in the snow years ago. The last time I was there I think there was only one trail and it went around the hill. Now no one has to make a decision about it.

What was that I saw blow by at 0:29 in the first video? I hope it wasn't something important like your lens cap sailing down the mountain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah