Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
Not at all Moose.

Nothing is worse than being wet and cold.

Glad you found a warm fire to warm you up.

We had a guy break thru the ice one time out on a January ride in Wyoming.

Boy was he happy when I pulled a nice pair of dry wool socks out of my rear box.

You just never know when you might need a dry pair.
I'm glad you said box. That's better than what Ernie's mom did.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you were, right on the money.

I seldom ever use my ****** block. Its not something I need very often.

I had forgot all about those old switches until I opened the box - one my friends had one on his old Polaris Sportsman.

I have a remote switch but I don't have anywhere to mount the plug for it and I don't want to drill any holes in the body.

I have two rocker switches right now. One for the winch and one for a Boski ATV Wagon electric screw dump trailer.

We were doing trail maintenance over by Beaver and we needed to haul road base to fix a few really bad spots on the trail. At the time we had two of these trailers. We keep one with the Forest Service for them to use and this one stays over in Beaver for the Tusher Mountain OHV Club to use.

I need to add that the young lady there outworked every man there. She is such an awesome and amazing your lady.

Its not technically mine though. The resort where I use to live had a great little trailer but when I moved here to the park they didn't have one so I told the Committee I needed one for trail maintenance so they bought one for the "park".

What I really need it for is to go get my Christmas Trees.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:01 AM
Moto Psycho

The one winch I had a remote for was on another Sportsman. The cigarette lighter receptacle was on the left side of the headlight pod as usual. I used a spade bit to drill a new hole on the right side for it, and put the winch remote receptacle in the old hole. It was just the right size. I had a metal bracket on the left handlebar to hold the big rubber coated remote where I could reach it while on the quad. I had a Polaris multi-mount that took less than a minute to swap the winch from one end to the other. I had a front bumper about the same size as a double tube bumper, but the ends curved back and it looked like one continuous oval. It had a flat steel plate in the middle with the Polaris star cut out. I kept the winch on the back which balanced out the ATV quite nicely. If I got stuck I could pull myself back out instead of pulling myself in deeper and through the bad spot. If I wanted to winch myself forward, I pulled 2 pins out of the bumper and took it off, pulled 2 pins out of the winch mount, unplugged the power cable, stuck the winch on the front, put 2 pins in and plugged the power cable in. I used 2 pins to hold the bumper on the back or just set it aside for a minute. I could do it all faster than typing that. The rubber caps kept the mud out of each receptacle when the winch wasn't plugged into it.

I like the powered tilt bed trailer. I better not show my friend that or he'll have something else to make payments on. He has a little lawn cart type of trailer that the tailgate slides up and off of but it doesn't tilt. He has another trailer that used to be a popup camper not much wider than an ATV. My best guess would be that it's about 7' long. Maybe double the length of the other one. I can lay down in it so I know it's over 6' inside. Anyone who doesn't have an ATV or is drinking, not driving, gets to ride to the lake in that one. Sometimes the drunks have too much fun back there.

Attached Thumbnails Paiute Trail, Utah-wire-lock-pin.jpg   Paiute Trail, Utah-winch-power-cable.jpg  
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Having the capability to winch either direction would be a nice option.

A couple of my friends back in the old days had receivers on the front and back of their trucks and that's how they moved the winch from front to back.

I still find the vast majority of the time I need to winch myself forward.

This was the trailer I used when I lived at the resort. I wish it was mine.

The dump trailer is a great trailer but at just over 500 lbs empty its not always the best trailer for the job. It will carry 1100 lbs so at 1600 lbs it can be difficult for an ATV to pull, specially up a dirt trail.

I can barrow just about any kind of ATV trailer there is buy I'd like a light weight trailer of my own.

Just not sure which one.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Moto Psycho

If you don't need a tailgate one of these plastic body trailers would be nice to have. I like how you can swivel it around from side to side when you dump it. It has a 10 year warranty on the trailer bed, which has no holes for bolts to go through. It's like a bathtub. It would be great for people who need a trailer for yard work.

https://www.rhinomade.com/product/xp...-road-trailer/

But hauling something long you really need a tailgate so you can have things sticking out the back. If something is so long it overhangs the front and back, at least the back of it will be in the bed as low as possible. That's how my friend hauls wood that's too long for his lawn cart. Whatever fits between the walls goes in, overhanging the front of the trailer but not enough to interfere with him turning. When we get enough piled on it gets strapped down and away we go.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Not at all Moose.

Nothing is worse than being wet and cold.

Glad you found a warm fire to warm you up.

We had a guy break thru the ice one time out on a January ride in Wyoming.

Boy was he happy when I pulled a nice pair of dry wool socks out of my rear box.

You just never know when you might need a dry pair.
I'll have to remember that. Laundered please!

Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

I'd prefer a tailgate.

I seldom need a trailer and that's probably why I've never bought one.

Living an working at the resort I used it all the time.

Moose, they were clean and fresh.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I added another 20' tow strap, a nice 8' tree saver and another small 4000 lb ****** block.

With a new winch, 2 ****** blocks, 70' of tow straps, 200' of synthetic rope and a chainsaw I am now unstoppable.

I'm headed out again in the morning to make sure one of my favorites is open.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I added another 20' tow strap, a nice 8' tree saver and another small 4000 lb ****** block.

With a new winch, 2 ****** blocks, 70' of tow straps, 200' of synthetic rope and a chainsaw I am now unstoppable.
I don't know. I'm sure you can find a way.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Moto Psycho

Once you start getting cocky you're just asking for trouble.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah