Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't say deer are suidical, just don't pay attention when crossing the road. And animals can't judge the speed of automobiles like humans can. They don't look and see a car coming and think, "I'd better wait because it will hit me if I cross now." Especially during hunting season, they're so spooked that they probably don't look at all. Smaller animals like raccoons just greatly underestimate how fast cars are. I hit one with my car a couple years ago and have had several near misses since then. I've only hit one deer in my life, about 15 years ago. But have had several close calls. Most recently about a month ago, just missed by maybe 6 feet. Got slowed down just enough for it to make it.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:01 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes a group of deer will graze right next to a highway and I can see them for a long way. They look up and see me coming but stay right there. Finally when I'm close they might decide to move and there's about a 50:50 chance they'll go in front of me. No matter how poor their judgment of speed is they shouldn't jump right in front of the thing they're trying to get away from. Most of the time I see deer they aren't being chased by anything, they're just standing there eating.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
They call those bumpers moose bouncers up here in New England. I have not got hit by one yet.... I have almost hit two different moose out on the trails where I came around a corner to find moose in the middle of the trail. Just missed one and was able to stop in time for the other. She didn't look happy. Ears back, hackles up, and head down. I got out of there real fast.

5 years ago I was with friends up my favorite canyon above SLC when we saw this moose and a little one down by the creek so we stopped to take a few pictures.

The gal I was with climbed back on my ATV and was starting it up when I heard my buddy yelling " GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!!" and all of a sudden we could hear that moose crashing thru the brush heading our way. Just happy the old ATV started right up.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
I wouldn't say deer are suidical, just don't pay attention when crossing the road. And animals can't judge the speed of automobiles like humans can. They don't look and see a car coming and think, "I'd better wait because it will hit me if I cross now." Especially during hunting season, they're so spooked that they probably don't look at all. Smaller animals like raccoons just greatly underestimate how fast cars are. I hit one with my car a couple years ago and have had several near misses since then. I've only hit one deer in my life, about 15 years ago. But have had several close calls. Most recently about a month ago, just missed by maybe 6 feet. Got slowed down just enough for it to make it.

Ya they have no concept of vehicles. I HATE hitting them.

Can't take road kill in Utah. If I hit one with my truck and didn't kill it and I went back and put it out of its with my gun I would be arrested and convicted of poaching.

I've heard that hitting an animal the impact causes a rush of blood that taints the flavor of the meat.

I don't like gammy meat anyway.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:29 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Any part that's bruised would probably be bad.

In Australia they hook a bunch of trailers to semis and have road trains up to 175 feet long on public roads and even longer on private roads owned by mining companies. They can be up to 220 tons, and kangaroos jumping in front of them get smacked down with no effect on the truck. Cars better stay out of their way too because they can't stop fast enough to avoid anything.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen those trailer trains - they are impressive.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:23 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I haven't seen them myself, just the videos. I saw something on TV years ago that said in some parts of Australia they have a wet season when the trucks can't get through and they haul everything in they can before it hits. They need supplies to last for months at a time and the road trains are rolling when they can get through. Hitting the brakes would be like trying to slow down a freight train. It'll stop eventually but don't get in front of it.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta

5 years ago I was with friends up my favorite canyon above SLC when we saw this moose and a little one down by the creek so we stopped to take a few pictures.

The gal I was with climbed back on my ATV and was starting it up when I heard my buddy yelling " GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!!" and all of a sudden we could hear that moose crashing thru the brush heading our way. Just happy the old ATV started right up.
I'm amazed you got away if you were on the Rubicon!!!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:32 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Never turn your back on a bull moose during the rut.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Big Frank
Never turn your back on a bull moose during the rut.
Great advise.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah