Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Old 04-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Holy hijacked thread, Batman!!!!! I think we need a new thread going for travelling and vehicle/trailer choices. I'm as guilty as the rest though....

Old 04-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Now that we are retired we have lots of time unless my employer calls me in for an emergency job. Us old timers still have a few tricks up our sleeve that the young bucks cannot handle yet so they call me in on occasion, but I am not obligated to go if I don't want to but it does offer some extra spending money. I am not interested in sitting home as long as my health stays good. If I went the toy hauler route I would need to buy a big pickup truck to pull it at 10 mpg then I would be using that truck at 10 mpg all the time. With the motorhome I also get 10 mpg but only when I am using it, for the rest of the time I can drive a car that gets 25 mpg. That is the main reason for trying the motorhome..but who knows, that's why this is a trial thing and buying a used motorhome. I can get a nice used motorhome for far less than the cost of a good pickup then would need a toy hauler expense on top of that. Yes we will be towing the UTV behind the motorhome, bought an enclosed trailer for that so no one will know what is inside. Had to order a new one as there is nothing used around here and if one does pop up they are only a couple hundred less than a new one. Got a real good buy on a new one thru a grand opening of a dealer moving into a new facility. They were offering an $800 package upgrade for only $200 with the grand opening. No other dealers within 50 miles could touch that price, only drawback is having to wait until May 1st to pick it up. But that will give us time to get the motorhome fixed up the way we want it. Counting the days until we can hit the road!!

Old 04-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Holy hijacked thread, Batman!!!!! I think we need a new thread going for travelling and vehicle/trailer choices. I'm as guilty as the rest though....

Guilty as well, but sometimes we just jump right in when a thought occurs..

Old 04-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starting a new thread for trailers and motor homes is a great idea. You go first.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

How do we transfer the already posted messages over to the new thread?

Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
Fixed that for you!

There is also the fly out and rent a quad for those who can't dedicate that amount of time to travel.
that was a good fix too

Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RedRocket204

Sorry for the thread derail.
No derail here what so ever so no worries.

That was a ton of good info and glad you shared it.

My camper works great for me because its only me.

I bought my truck with full the intention of buying a slide-in camper.

Regular cab pickups have a higher payload rating than extended and 4 doors do. My camper with no slides weighs just under 4000 pounds dry and I'm only over my GVW by a few hundred pounds. I'm impressed with how well the truck handles the camper with no suspension mods and I am equally as impressed with how well the 6.0L gas engine moves it around. Its certainly not a diesel but it does a good job. Gas mileage sucks. LOL I had a couple of tanks in the low 7s coming thru Nevada climbing the summits and fighting headwinds.

I had a travel trailer last time and carried the ATV in the bed of the truck. For me and my wife (ex) it worked perfect.

I do like that I have the ability to go places I couldn't towing a travel trailer and I like not having another set of tires and wheel bearings to service or worry about.

Definitely check your options. RVs are big investments for sure.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
We did that in 2013. Rental quads weren't bad but weren't great. A 570 RZR at 10,000 ft. isn't exactly exciting. The quads we rented had even smaller engines.

It IS hard to not smile out there. Beautiful country, nice people, riding into town for gas, food, and lodging. Yep, it's a great time.
A big part of the enjoyment I get out of riding is riding my ATV.

Its still fun on someone else's ATV but never as fun as riding your ATV.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
We are choosing the motorhome route as we don't have to be anywhere at any particular time. We have done the tent, popup campers and also hardtop travel trailers. All have there advantages and disadvantages. We are choosing the motorhome because I don't want to spend 50,000 for a tow vehicle on top of the cost of a travel trailer and also because I would not be able to take my UTV with us. We like the ability to eat or prepare lunch or dinner while traveling down the road. If we need groceries then we stop before making camp. Not towing another car either, they get bad enough fuel economy without dragging along another 3000 lb vehicle. Unhooking is not that bad if you need to leave camp, the trick is to not put stuff away, leave the water and elec. cord just lay there until you get back, same with sewer hose if you have it. We have been researching this for a couple years and also using our prior camping experience as references to making our decision. I am also buying a used motorhome, not a new one ....way to costly!! In fact we just received word that our offer was accepted on a 28 ft motorhome. Interior is like new and owner has all receipts and books and papers from day one including all repair and maintenance records. I think this is gonna be fun, sure beats sitting home and watching the grass grow.
That's awesome. Congrats on your new MH.

You'll love it.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I used to do a lot of day trips when I rode by myself. Now I ride with my friends, mostly on holiday weekends, and pitch a tent on their property anywhere from a weekend to 2-3 weeks around the 4th of July. When I was a kid my family used to go camping a lot and we parked a travel trailer in the middle of the national forest far away from any campgrounds. It was a lot of fun and for a long time I thought that's what camping was all about. I think we went to a campground with some friends one time.
I loathe campgrounds, specially after living in one at Big rock Candy Mountain.

I live in a very small one that's seldom full and I'm away from other campers.

I dreaded holidays because the were full.

When my ex-wife and I had our travel trailer we only stayed in 3 campgrounds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah