Farming, Beef, Dairy, Insect, Equipment, ETC. Discussion on farming, beef, dairy, insect, equipment, etc

Convert tiller to mount on Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convert tiller to mount on Sportsman

My dad just recently bought a new tiller and told me I could have his troy bilt rear tine tiller. Being both of us have bad backs this thing beats the crap out of us. I was wondering what would be a good way to attach it on the front of the Sportsman and use the winch to raise it up and down. I'm sure it can be done and has been and I'm wondering if any of you guys have done it or seen it down b4. Thanks for the help!!

He just bought a mantis for himself, and I'd hate to see the other one go to scrap. Figure I could use it for some food plots or something.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try to turn it into a tow behind. Trying to mount it in the front would be more difficult and it probably wouldn't work as well.

Take a look at the tow behind tillers made by Agrifab Agrifab tillerand DR power equipment DR Tow Behind Tiller.

If you've got a good rear tine tiller it shouldn't be too much of a problem to adapt it as a tow behind model. Maybe rearrange the throttle cable, weld up some square tubing for a frame. You could make all the depth adjustments manual or you could get fancy and use an electric linear actuator.

Just look closely at the DR and Agrifab units. Download the manuals and sales literature and see how they do it and adapt it to your situation. I know a guy who wanted a DR power grader but didn't want to spend 1500 bucks for one. He studied the sales literature and owners manual and put his own together for 400 bucks.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I have looked at the DR and agri fab and way too much. I wanted it on the front so it would be better to get in tight places that I cant drive through when doing landscaping and such. Thanks for the advice Capt.