General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

4-wheelers trespassing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-wheelers trespassing

I've got several 4-wheelers trespassing on my land, my land is posted and I've been able to catch some of them and politely told them they are not allowed to ride on my land, I've reported them to the police which does nothing. Its pretty bad when they come flying by your home at 3:00 in the morning as well as all thru the day and night and not once has any of them asked for permission to ride on my land. Of course they just ignore me and do as they wish, so how am I suppose to deal with them, I'm afraid its going to get ugly.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wish I had that problem, i'd have some fun for sure.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbierman
Wish I had that problem, i'd have some fun for sure.
Me too! I'm always looking for more people to go riding with, but not at 3 am.....I'm sleeping then! LOL!

Seriously, though, I don't know what else you can do, atleast, legally and what won't get you into trouble. It's a fine line that, when crossed, you could end up being the one in jail! It is ridiculous, I know, but it is the way it is these days. It's not like the old west, unfortunately!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums Rinkerloot.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Unfortunately, just a few can give the rest of us a bad name.

The people that you stopped, were they adults, or younger kids? If it were the kids, and you followed them back to where they came from, I'm sure their parents might be interested in knowing what they were (illegally) doing.

I would definitely check with you local law enforcement agency as to your options when catching a trespasser on your property.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rinkleroot
I've got several 4-wheelers trespassing on my land, my land is posted and I've been able to catch some of them and politely told them they are not allowed to ride on my land, I've reported them to the police which does nothing. Its pretty bad when they come flying by your home at 3:00 in the morning as well as all thru the day and night and not once has any of them asked for permission to ride on my land. Of course they just ignore me and do as they wish, so how am I suppose to deal with them, I'm afraid its going to get ugly.
Well if you've politely asked them to leave and they have refused, tell them again and explain it legally.

Tell them you'd love to be allowed to let them pass through, but your insurance does not allow it. And that you have to notify the police. If you call the police about it every time, they will eventually do something. Yes it will be annoying for the police, but that is sometimes what it takes for them to see the scope of the issue. They will give you every chance to let it go.

If these are adults doing it, they should be told that legal action has to be taken. Just to keep it from escalating, the insurance angle is one I've heard many people use. It is like saying the "boss is on my butt" and thus the "underlings" cannot be mad at you directly.

If they are kids, you can try the same thing. You can say if you want permission to ride here I need to speak with your parents. Then you politely tell the parents that your insurance won't allow it and that you have to call the police next time.

If none of those polite tactics work, keep bugging the police until they so some work. That is why they are there.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you can read their license plate give that info to the police. That is if they have one.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

It is a shame that in our law suit prone country you cannot allow people to ride on your land without risk of losing it and everything you own, but that is what it is and we don't allow anyone access to our property. This goes for ATV's, hunting, horse back riding and so on.

I was in Law Enforcement as is my son. When you "call the police", you will be speaking with a dispatcher or some other low level entity and your concerns may or may not be passed on. When you make the call and get no results ask to speak with someone in charge and when you do ask their identity, rank and so on. If nothing happens, start up the chain of command and if necessary make a personal visit. Almost all Law Enforcement entities with which you will be dealing will have someone over them in the form of Commissioners or such and if necessary, go to them. Keep documentation of all of your contacts.

As tempting as it is to take matters into your own hands, please refrain as it will probably cause you more problems than you can imagine.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice, I've had a chance to cool off a bit now, I really needed to vent a little the other day. I'm not going to let them get the best of me, its mostly teenagers and a few 20 yr. olds who have no respect for other people's property.

I'll put up more posted signs and report them to the cops, these punks aren't worth my going to jail.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM
no1
Trailblazer

Well if it were me I would sting up some thin wire, throw down 5 lbs of 2" nails on the trail, and then set up some old steel jaw bear traps along side where the nails are. LOL, Please dont do any of the above!! If these guys ride through at 3am. their local. Next time they go through go for a walk and follow the tracks. If you are lucky they will lead you to a house and then you have a place to start. I would send a polite but firm letter certified mail. Have the letter notarized and state your intentions if they tresspas again. Also hand deliver a copy of the letter to the local P.D. Best of luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I havent had any atv'ers trespassing but I did have some problems with snowmobilers. I put up a snow drift fence across my property line it was perfectly legal thing to do ( it is highly visible even at night time so there was less of a chance of someone blasting into it) I only had to have it up for one season and since then I havent had any more problems.

Quick Reply: 4-wheelers trespassing