General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Need NON BIASED opinion's on my short list please

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need NON BIASED opinion's on my short list please

Hi there people new to site and the atv world!

This is really one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make.

Been doing my homework reading threads from you enthusiasts and putting together a short list for a mid size utility quad.

So i have three in mind they are the Polaris 550 the outlander 400 500 possibly 650 if I could come across a good deal. And the yamaha grizz 550. all which have their pros and cons.

I just seen in the atv magazine the sportsman won best in class but the only thing hindering that is a friend of mine (who is all about hondas) says his 87 honda still starts better than a polaris in the dead of winter (not brand bashing here). I don't think that is an issue now days with the EFI on most models.

I won't be needing it to do any work just some hard trail riding be reliable and king of the trail! (I hope) lol.

I would like to hear from a can-am rider espeacily about that visco lok that is good in open country but hinders performance on the trail riding so I've heard and also the steering and braking is a bit of a challenge as well on the trails. is it really that bad? because I really like the sportiness aspect of it.

opinions from anyone who has ridin any of these machines or know someone who has one would be greatly apreciated thanks from the first time poster! lizard89.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

I would recommend a Yamaha Grizzly 600 not a 550 because I have a 600 and it is awesome and I have taken it on some pretty rough trails and through some mud bogs and creeks. I t is one of the best 4 wheelers I have ever had.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Have a bit of seat time on the Po & Bomb. Gotta admit that I like the Po better. But I work mine pulling logs. 2 times the visco lock let me down. As for the ride I find the Po much more stable at both bumpy trails and on long rides. It is fun to ride the Bomb for a change but am happy to get back on the Po. The Bomb has an annoying whine & rattle to me also. Can't comment on the Yam.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

yeah visco lock is cheap crap.

otherwise, the rotax motor is nice.

but polarises are built much beefier, hence the higher weight.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

I was in the same delema and decided on the Grizzly 550 EFI/EPS. Although not the cheapest, it was the best looking and Best featured machine of all that I looked at, including the Honda 500 Rubicon.
As far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with ither a Yamaha or Honda product. I am also leaning that wayb towards the Can-Am machines.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 08 Outlander 400. No problems at all. Many of my friends who have new Honda Ranchers, Grizzly 450s, and Polaris bikes comment on how comfortable and nice my CanAm rides and handles.

As far as the ViscoLock, I have had no problems going where everyone else goes. It seems to pull through mud that some Hondas won't, and if I get stuck, everyone else does, as well.

I recently traded my Wife's '07 Honda Recon for an '08 Rancher. The Recon was nothing but problems, rode it 5 times, broke down 3 of those times!! Dealer said it was because I swamped it. I said that was fine, but it didn't run long enough to give me the chance to swamp it!!!

I guess what I am saying is, you can have problems with any one, even Honda.

Go ride them all, see what fits you best and enjoy!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

with the Yamaha griz 600 I can go alot more places than any of my buddies riding with me and i have only gotten stuck in mud once.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice
found a deal on an OUTLANDER 800R 06 going this week to the dealer to test it along way (3.5 hrs) but hope it's worth the trip!