General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Jumping my warrior

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumping my warrior

Ok this is going to sound really dumb but anyways.... I finally got my first sport atv running (1999 warrior) and went out on a track, I began jumping it. Heres my problem, what the correct way to jump? I mean i can jump the thing off a ramp, the problem is the landing... as im falling, I always loose my footing on the pegs and torque my foot. Is there any help to prevent this? Thanks....

Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Skatike27
Ok this is going to sound really dumb but anyways.... I finally got my first sport atv running (1999 warrior) and went out on a track, I began jumping it. Heres my problem, what the correct way to jump? I mean i can jump the thing off a ramp, the problem is the landing... as im falling, I always loose my footing on the pegs and torque my foot. Is there any help to prevent this? Thanks....

I would invest in a set of nerf bars to keep your foot from not only slipping off the peg, but if it happens, your foot won't suck under and hurt or break your ankle. That would be the first thing I would purchase. I just got a 400ex, and the first thing I got were nerf bars, because I like to jump, but great for trails too! They aren't too expensive, I bought some Tusk nerf bars with heel guards and they were 180 on ebay, or 200 on www.rockymountainatv.com . They are pretty nice, and get the job done for the price! But like I said, no matter which brand of nerf bars, I would invest in a set! Here is a thread I posted in Honda for my 400ex, and it gives some great opinions on nerf bars! http://forums.atvconnection.com/hond...hats-best.html

As for the landing part when jumping, you just have to get the feeling of jumping, standing up and making sure you land back wheels first, followed by a nice landing on the front tires, that way you don't hurt yourself coming down, and going over the handle bars. Start with some small single jumps and nothing too fancy. You will get the hang of it, but the key is to be safe!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Best thing to do do really is jam your heels into your heels guards (hopefully you have them on you warrior, they tend to break a lot on them) so the backs of your legs are up against your fenders and your rump is off the seat and that should give you the basic feel for the way you should jump and a decent landing. After that its all trial and error and see what works best for you because not every jump can be taken the same way on every machine. Plus the warriors tend to be slightly front heavy due to the engine placement. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

Also oliethegoalie99 is 110% right you definetly need to invest in some nerf bars. I will never ride a sport quad without them. And investing in some MX boots is another really nice thing to look into. You can pick some up for around $80.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

After doing some riding last night, i will be ordering some nerf bars as well.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, like what WheelieRyder01 said too, look at some MX boots. That will protect your ankles, and feet, and shins, incase you fall or hit hard. I know when I first started riding, I just wore normal shoes, until I hit hard one time, and messed up my ankle. It takes a couple rides to get used to MX boots, but once you do, you will be happy with them!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your butt off the seat and your knees/hips slightly bent/not stiff. Start off on smaller jumps and work your way up as the landings begin to feel natural and you gain confidence. I agree with everyone pushing for mx boots, nerfs, and heel guards. All those can prevent a nasty injury.