General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Fuel injection necessary for cold weather ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quoe]I finally got fed up with carbs and two stroke snow machines. When I bought a new ATV I went with EFI and it starts like a dream at -30 degrees. My new AC Bearcat snowmobile with EFI and 4 stroke is a very docile and useable machine.

EFI is the only way to go. If you're spending any kind of seriuous money for a machine go with EFI and at least be current with existing technology. I have had 2/4 stroke machines, carbed machines and EFI machines and their is no comparison between the two.[/quote]

Your carb machines must of been srcewed up. Sleds have been around for 40 years yet EFI has not been around for more than 5 years and have not out numbered carb models until the last few years.

I guess I,m just the lucky ones when it comes to carbs, They just start up and I ride in the winter ATV,Sled,and snowbowers.

I would not say "no comparison" beteewn the two, I go ice fishing with a 420 EFI Honda, its more like one is easy to start in the winter(Carb) and the other is easier to start in the winter(EFI). Both take the same time to warm up the motor oil.

I wish I could describe how cold this ride was on our 97Sportsman.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

You are the exception to the rule if all you do is start and ride TLC. I have been around a while and with the exception of the later model cars and trucks towards the end of carbureted models the notion that you just start and ride when it is really cold just didn't happen. Anytime you have a manual choke it requires monitoring "babysitting" to keep it running. With EFI you just "start and ride", or start and let warm up while you do whatever. This is not brand specific either, all models with a manual choke will require you to monitor and adjust until they are up to temp. As far as a carbureted model being easier and cheaper to service the jury is still out in my mind. With most bikes that I have been around most will require the removal and cleaning in the spring to rid the bowl of varnish from buildup over the winter months, or just from infrequent use. I do not believe that EFI will have this issue. Of course it all boils down to what a person wants to do, but I can tell you that the new technology, while still in its infant stage, is far superior to the technology of yesterday that is for sure.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

There are still 2010 Ski-doos and Yamaha sleds using carbs like the MX Z® X®-RS 800R and 1000 VK. When you see Eskimo on National Geographic riding sled they only use work sled like the VK and I hear its cold up there.

2010 Yamaha RS Viking Professional Snowmobiles

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

I completely understand and realize that carburetors are still around and I am sure that they will be for a long time. That does not take away from the fact that EFI is more efficient and a better mousetrap. Carbureted engines are not now, nor have they ever been more efficient, or trouble free. If they were they would still be on our cars and trucks. Non EFI engines are still around to keep the costs down, and in many circumstances is probably unlikely that they will be replaced by EFI, like snowblowers, small lawn mowers, pumps, etc. I don't have a problem with carburetors, I'm just glad that I don't have one on the quad that I ride.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

My sled's a 78 ski doo everest 444 and it starts in the winter at any temp in 1-2 pulls. I have to baby it for a minute with the primer until it's run for a bit but after that it's fine. But the old sleds came with a primer making them easier to start and sled carbs are jet for those low ambient temps. The choke newer carbs use, which is just a fuel enrichment/fast idle cam and not an actual choke plate, does not work as well in the cold on some motors. My dad's sled was an arctic cat 20 years newer than mine and would not start nearly as easy as my dinosaur era ski doo until he added a primer. Also by hand you can rip that motor over a lot faster with the pull start than you can turn it over with the electric start in the dead of winter, that makes a big difference too. With his sled you could crank until the battery died just wasn't fast enough to get the motor running from cold.

Cody, if you think EFI is on modern cars because of their efficiency or supposed reliability you are dead wrong. EFI is on modern cars for one and only one reason - emissions regulations. I think the only reason they are putting efi on the bigger atvs is because those things are the size of a small car and people are brainwashed into thinking they need it. For an atv I intend to own over the long term, efi is the last thing I want. Remember that old saying your junior high shop teacher should have told you, KISS - keep it simple stupid. There is a fraction of the parts on a carb atv to go wrong over the longer term than on a fuelie. [/rant off]

Old 06-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hawk is carbed, in cold weather I have to use the choke to start it. It starts up right away, let it idol with choke till it starts to sputter, usually takes about 10-20 seconds the push back in and let it warm up. I haven't had any problems with cold weather start up or driving, bike actually runs better in colder conditions. (cold = dense air = more hp) Somthing else to consider, with EFI you dont have to tune the bike for changes in altitude, a 500 EFI will be my next toy.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

So I'm dead wrong about EFI being more efficient? I have not heard anything more absurd. Fuel Injection is by far more efficient than any carburetor could ever be. They are by far much more reliable as well. You are correct about one thing though, while there are many things that can go wrong with EFI, but IMO only one thing to go wrong with a carburetor, THE WHOLE THING! Emission regulations are here for air quality, and whether you agree or disagree with them they do require an engine to be running at a proper air to fuel ratio so that you are not spewing raw gas out the exhaust, which is what the biggest percentage of carburetors will give you. Look at what EFI has done for cars and trucks. Compare any of the new cars to say a car from the 70's and you will find that todays cars and trucks deliver significantly more horsepower than the cars of the 70's. Even if you compare the modern day muscle cars to the old muscle cars of the late 60's you will see that the new cars will blow their doors off. That is what technology does for us and like it or not EFI is a big part of that. I had a 68 GT Mustang with a big block, and it was awesome, but it won't hold a candle to the performance of the new ones.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I jumbed on a Sporttsman 500 EFI and 420 Efi Rancher and trail rode them both for miles, unless the people told me there were EFI not Carb I would never of known, there was no stand out obvous feeling in performance, or behavior on smaller motors like ATVs, Maybe cars yes.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well TLC, come ride both of mine and you can tell the difference. With EFI you simply turn on the key and hit the starter and that is it, regardless of the outside temperature. With the carb, and it isn't just mine, my uncle's as well as many of my friends will contest to it, you babysit the choke and then you ride. There is no question that I have the potential to spend more money in repair when and if I need it with EFI, but that is a luxury that I am willing to afford. It is well worth it to me. If it wasn't a better deal all the way around, the manufacturers wouldn't be building them.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I was talking about "while" riding you would be hard pressed to tell a carb from a throttle body.

On a carb yes the "first" ride of the day needs a choke, after that they start all day even in winter, with just a push of a button.

If I was shopping for a ATV its a feature that would be lower on my list then say diff lock,IRS or more HP which are features you can acually "feel".

Like I said carbs start "easy" on cold days and throttle bodies start "easier".

Quick Reply: Fuel injection necessary for cold weather ??