General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Fuel injection necessary for cold weather ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
All the my snowmobiles were and are carberated, I run my ATV all the time up here in Northern Ontario Canada during winter and it starts up easily.

Everything in this picture is carburated and believe me it was cold.

Remember EFI or carb you still have to warm up the motor oil to bring the motor up to operating temp. I have yet to see a EFI snowblower.

Where in Northern Ontario?

But ya... A carbed ATV is fine. I can attest. I live in Northern Ontairo as well. And I can leave my Kodiak 450 sit for a day in -40+ weather, put the choke on and she fires right up and let it warm up for 4-5 minutes before I go.

EFI.. while nice, I find it just another thing that will break down the road where as a carb, almost anyone can repair easily enough.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cody700
You are the exception to the rule if all you do is start and ride TLC. I have been around a while and with the exception of the later model cars and trucks towards the end of carbureted models the notion that you just start and ride when it is really cold just didn't happen. Anytime you have a manual choke it requires monitoring "babysitting" to keep it running. With EFI you just "start and ride", or start and let warm up while you do whatever. This is not brand specific either, all models with a manual choke will require you to monitor and adjust until they are up to temp. As far as a carbureted model being easier and cheaper to service the jury is still out in my mind. With most bikes that I have been around most will require the removal and cleaning in the spring to rid the bowl of varnish from buildup over the winter months, or just from infrequent use. I do not believe that EFI will have this issue. Of course it all boils down to what a person wants to do, but I can tell you that the new technology, while still in its infant stage, is far superior to the technology of yesterday that is for sure.

I don't think you have a clue on what your talking about. No offense. First let me tell you that I own a 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450. And I likely live in a much colder part of the world then you do when it comes to winter. With that said. I can go out to my garage on a brisk -45c morning and open the choke on my bike, start it, 10 seconds later back off the choke to almost nothing and let it warm up. Do you call 10 seconds babysitting? I don't.

Do not forget that if it is EFI or Carb, you still have to let the motor warm up, and it wont warm up any faster being EFI

Now to make a remark about your second piece of advice in the effect of saying EFI is far more superior to Carb. Again I believe your wrong, but not totally.

I can attest first hand that a 2008 Grizzly 700 EFI get's worst gas mileage then a 2008 Grizzly 660 "I can also attest the one is not faster then the other ". I know because my father owns the 660 and a friend the 700 "not even a real 700 either" but ya, you can say what you want about this "babysitting a carb" lingo because it aint true. If your bike is all adjusted and set up properly then you don't need to do what you suggest. And I believe your painting a false picture for anyone interested in buying an ATV.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been riding 3-4 wheelers since 1983 and have owned a boat load of various brand name ATV's..By FAR, there is NO comparison between the a ATV with a carb and one that is EFI..

My last two ATVs are EFI [Suz 700cc King Quad and 800cc Can Am ] and I will NEVER go back to a carburerated ATV again-----PERIOD!

As already mentioned, you dont have to sit back and baby-sit a choke on a EFI model, and they are far more reliable than any carb you'll ever deal with..

Those who favor a carb model ATV vs one that is fueled by EFI, simply have no idea what they are talking about or cant afford a EFI model..

Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

ill stick with a carb for now. the efis havent been out that long and there still haveing issues with them. if a fuel pump or a injector go out its least a $100 or more fix. plus if a computer goes out its more. i whent with a carb not cuz i didnt have the money but beacuse of the cost to fix an efi. just cuz it run by a computer dont really make it better. in the 8yrs i owned my last carbed atv it didnt cost me $200 to fix. with computer your gona have problems. may not be now but some time you well unless you have the money to trade it off every yr or so. but then money is no issues then. and the world is relying on computers way to much if you ask me. if you ask me there way to many computers on cars and trucks. if atvs are starting to have one or 2. its only time when there gona have a computer for everything in it. but this is my thoughts on computers.

but evon with what i say it dont matter because your gona buy what your gona buy. ill stick with carbs for now. as i think there better than efis. and no one can change my mind on that. unless i get a free one. my next one may be an efi. but for now. im happy with a carb

Old 07-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

I dunno...

As many times as I've had my carb apart this week, it has got me strongly considering fuel injection on my next quad.

As far as my opinion on the carb vs. fuel injection argument, I see the ATV industry mirroring where the auto industry was in the mid-80's (during its move toward fuel injection)...with a lot of the same arguments for, and against the technology. It could be that I'm ticked off at my carb right now, but I'm leaning toward the fuel injection camp.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Remember that the Topics title was.

"Fuel injection necessary for cold weather"

Well obviously not, they still make plenty of 2009-2010 snowmobiles with carbs and I just have to many winter miles on my carb ATVs and sleds to call it luck.

My buddy just bought this 2010 Ski-Doo MX Z Adrenaline 800R (Twin TM-40 Carbs)

We really have no doubt it will start all winter at any time and temp.