General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Need advise on a sport quad............

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise on a sport quad............

1st post here for me............

I am looking for a sport quad. I am leaning towards a Honda 450r as I grew up riding Hondas and all my friends had them. I am definitely open to some un-biased opinions though because I haven't researched any quad for about 10 years now. This will be my first quad and i want it to be fast but not "stupid fast" (not saying that those who own them are stupid. I would be for getting one right out of the gate) because I will be pretty inexpierenced starting out. My father-in-law just bought my daughter a SSR 125 quad (can't find any info on these anywhere so help would be greatly appreciated) and I am looking for something to ride with her.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

We need to know one thing. What terrain will you be riding on? Dunes, Trails?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right now I am going to say light to moderate trails with small jumps with the ocasional dunes (live pretty close to Wanoka (sp) and might make a trip or 2 down there).

Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

The 450r will do fine. The only problem you could have is if the trail gets tight. All of the 450's like to rev and don't like to be run at low RPM's, other than that it should do just fine. Any 450 does need however, at frequent intervales(say 10 to 15 hours) valve adjustments and the oil changed. The reason is the valves during normal operation can get out of spec. 450's also have slipper pistons which tolerate compression blow by(extra gas bypassing the rings) which dilutes your oil. Keep up on regular maintenence, run a good oil and it won't crap on you. Any other questions?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

What would be the pros and cons to between a 400ex and a 450r? Also like I mentioned before I am not hard set on a Honda and if you have a better one in mind for a "starter" I am open to suggestions. What is the power difference between the two and would I even notice it without doing any hard core riding? As far as the trails being tight I really doubt that will be a problem but you never know. Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

The 450r is a race bike. The 400ex is one of the best trail quads ever built. If your starting out a 400ex or a Z400 would be better than a screaming 450. You would notice a big power difference between a 400 and 450 class bike. Find a KFX,Z,DVX 400 or a 400ex and you will be set. Only problem would be is the 400 may not have enough power for the dunes.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

i think you would like a Z400 now they have EFI (electronic fuel injection) which is very nice and also if u are just a starter than u cant just jump to something so fast as a 450 - a 400 will have good power and if u need more power there is so many mods for 400s

Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive been riding for awhile but i got a z400 which has pleasing power. but mine has a pipe and has been jetted/

Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Whoever said the 450 is too much for a beginner is full of it. Don't listen to him.

As for your questions, the 400 isn't in the same league as the 450's. Though it is a great reliable atv, it is now outdated and "slow." If you compare them, the 450 will be quicker, faster, and handle better EVERYWHERE. If you're over 18, I'm sure you could handle the power of the 450. Keep in mind that the Honda 450 competes, with the YFZ,LTZ450, Kawi 450, KTM 450 so you wont be the fastest but you wont be the slowest either. If you don't plan on racing, the Honda 450 would be great for you, it's rider friendly, fast, and RELIABLE. You won't be upset. I wouldn't recommend downgrading to the 400's, they're a bit slower, and trust me!! you'll be wanting more power if you like the adrenaline! good luck

freddy

Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YFZ660R
Whoever said the 450 is too much for a beginner is full of it. Don't listen to him.

As for your questions, the 400 isn't in the same league as the 450's. Though it is a great reliable atv, it is now outdated and "slow." If you compare them, the 450 will be quicker, faster, and handle better EVERYWHERE. If you're over 18, I'm sure you could handle the power of the 450. Keep in mind that the Honda 450 competes, with the YFZ,LTZ450, Kawi 450, KTM 450 so you wont be the fastest but you wont be the slowest either. If you don't plan on racing, the Honda 450 would be great for you, it's rider friendly, fast, and RELIABLE. You won't be upset. I wouldn't recommend downgrading to the 400's, they're a bit slower, and trust me!! you'll be wanting more power if you like the adrenaline! good luck

freddy
I disagree......the 400s are not boring at all. Especially the z400 with a few cheap mods.....

I ride a z400 and often swap with my buddy and his 450R...... we both can have fun on either machine..... Yes the 450 has more brute power but the 400s are not without at all. I can run right with any 450 in the woods no problem.

In the dunes, yeah a 450 is the way to go. And for serious racing yeah, the 450 is the way to go.....

But if you read his original post he did not mention anything about racing, and he said me might occasionally go to the dunes....... the 400s are much better for a beginner no matter how you try and spin it...... The 450s are a lot of machine for some people. And a lot of their potential will be wasted in the hands of a newbie.

The 400s are more than enough for a person just starting out.......

Quick Reply: Need advise on a sport quad............