General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

How To Safely Load My ATV Into My Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Safely Load My ATV Into My Truck?

Hi. I'm brand new to ATV's and I just picked up a 2008 TRX400EX. I was given a set of ramps (aluminum, about 8 feet long) with the purchase. My question is, how do I safely load the ATV into the back of my Toyota Tacoma? I've been riding dirt bikes for years and bikes are light enough to push up the ramp by hand. However, the ATV is a bit heavy. It doesn't seem safe to ride it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather admit to being a newb than to trash my new quad before I even get it to the trails!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

Ride it up.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is that what most people do?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Range Rover

Yeah I would imagine so. It how i load mine.
With the atv you got it may actually be light enough to push up if you really wanted to dependent on the type of ramps you got.

If you have to seperate ramps you could just get it in neutral and push it up with the wheelie bar walking in between the ramps, but of course if your truck is on an incline it may roll back out.

If you got a set of tri-fold or bi-fold ramps (my preference) then just ride up it

If you really dont like the thought of ramps your bike is prob light enough to lift the front end onto your tailgate and then lift the rear at the wheelie bar and just push it in, no ramps needed, but again it would need to be in neutral and could possibley roll out.

In all honesty once you ride it up a few times you'll realize your probably overthinking it and realize its easier/safer then you think.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Ride it up with your hand on the brakes ready to come to a quick halt. If they are seperate free floating ramps I would tie them together at the right width for your quad. Also, make sure the ramps are tied to the truck somehow so they don't slip out. If you can, when loading or unloading, park by a hill so the ramps are nearly flat. I use bi-fold ramps that are adjustable. The nice thing about bi- and tri- folds is that they stay parrallel to each other. So, if you have one end set right the other end will be too. Oh, and wear your helmet when loading and unloading. It can't hurt (at least as much as if you don't).

Old 08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, cool. Thanks, guys. There is a dip in my driveway where I can park the rear tire of my truck. That should lower the rear of the truck enough to lessen the incline. They are 2 separate free standing ramps. The 400EX weighs about 400 pounds so I could probably push it up if the incline is reduced a bit. I'll check into a set of folding ramps and ride it up cautiously. Until then, I'll look into putting some Velcro on the back of the tailgate and on the underside of each of the ramps "fingers". That should keep them "stuck" to the tailgate so they don't slip out of place. Bungee cords from the bottom of the ramp to the bumper might do the same thing.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
no1
Trailblazer

I would strap the ramps to the truck. Velcro might not work so well. YouTube - Charlie's Accident

Old 08-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Holy crap! Thanks for the link. No velcro. LOL! I'll use straps.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Ride it up with your hand on the brakes ready to come to a quick halt. If they are seperate free floating ramps I would tie them together at the right width for your quad. Also, make sure the ramps are tied to the truck somehow so they don't slip out. If you can, when loading or unloading, park by a hill so the ramps are nearly flat. I use bi-fold ramps that are adjustable. The nice thing about bi- and tri- folds is that they stay parrallel to each other. So, if you have one end set right the other end will be too. Oh, and wear your helmet when loading and unloading. It can't hurt (at least as much as if you don't).
Exactly what I was going to say. A tri-fold ramp was my first purchase after a close call on the individual ramps. I have a trailer now, which is even better. For those times when I need to load it in the truck I make sure the ramp is secured to the tailgate or bumper using my ratchet straps. Bungee cords, and even the "safety chains" some ramps come with are either never the right length, or allow too much movement.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I'm seeing that my first purchase is going to be a tri-fold set of ramps. The guy threw in the stand alone non-folding ramps, which is cool, but they just seem dangerous. The only thing worse than being a noob is being a stupid noob. :-) Thanks for your advice, guys.

Quick Reply: How To Safely Load My ATV Into My Truck?