General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

putting a motocycle motor in a atv frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting a motocycle motor in a atv frame

do anyone know how to convert a motocycle motor into an atv frame if so plz send me a message up here or email me at j_fleet8@yahoo.com thankyou

Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to give a lot more information than what you have given. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of motorcycle engines as well as thousands more atv frames, all with different mounting points, drive setups, cooling requirements, electrical requirements and power/torque ranges. In my opinion, unless you own a machine and tool shop, I would recommend selling the motorcycle engine and purchasing the correct motor for that frame. If you are deadset on doing this, you are likely in for a long and expensive journey that will be high maintenance in the end.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Joshua Blackburn (02-22-2021)
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

There was a guy on this site last year I believe that put a 4 cyl motor on a Warrior frame and he was happy as can be with it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it relatively easy. You have to mount the engine, which to me will be the hardest part since you are adding an incredible amount of power, and then the electronics. The gearing will not be as big of an issue as some would think since you would be adding more power than it had. I'm thinking that an early to mid 80's 4 cylinder of say 650 to 750 cc's would be a great choice. They were for the most part air cooled, and don't have that much electronics to deal with. Repositioning the sprocket on the final drive may give you a bit of a challenge due to the increased overall width of the engine, but where theres a will theres a way. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. If I lived close to you I would be interested in being involved in the project. Have fun with it.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I just finished putting a 1000cc 2005 Yamaha FZ1 engine in one of my DS650 chassis.
The hardest part is to get it positioned properly, so the chain lines up & so you don't have to extend the swingarm. Most people put the engine too far back, because its a lot easier to mount.
Here it is. :-) YouTube - DS1000

Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

^^ looks great! good work.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Support to valid your stated comment

Originally Posted by bcdudley
You will need to give a lot more information than what you have given. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of motorcycle engines as well as thousands more atv frames, all with different mounting points, drive setups, cooling requirements, electrical requirements and power/torque ranges. In my opinion, unless you own a machine and tool shop, I would recommend selling the motorcycle engine and purchasing the correct motor for that frame. If you are deadset on doing this, you are likely in for a long and expensive journey that will be high maintenance in the end.

Good luck
You couldn't have been closer in accuracy to your statement. I myself am at this moment finishing up a 300ex Honda and decided to put a 550 Yamaha on it. I mean the level of skills needed is pretty large amount to get everything safely modified and reasonably achieved with expenses. On and off it's been in progress for over a year. Like you said pre-planning of all areas needs to be figured out and you still will run into oversights you didn't expect. Like I chopped the frame and reframed engine compartment and custom make brackets for mounting and engineer frame braces to ensure the more weight and frame support could handle it with out twisting up or breaking the frame. And rewiring in this way is a good total brain scratcher as to what is a must or can remove and reroute some how. And newer system parts don't wire In like some use too. So your point was right on point.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Biggoat77
Default Well what engine and whst frame. Some are easy some are hard.

Originally Posted by jfleet8
do anyone know how to convert a motocycle motor into an atv frame if so plz send me a message up here or email me at j_fleet8@yahoo.com thankyou
I can't really answer without knowing what engine to what frame. The 400ex cbr swap is easiest i know.