General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Helmet made in usa?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet made in usa?

Is there such a thing as a helmet made in the usa? I've searched on the net and here and can find no evidence of any. The last few years I've borrowed a snowmobile helmet to ride. But I've recently begun looking for an actual off road motorcycle style. A few stores I've been to all stock helmets made in china. Over the last year I've been trying to purchase made in the USA products with little success.

Sorry for the newbie question. My wish list; snell rated, $200-$400, made in the USA. Too much to ask for?

Thanks
Brett in Boise

Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

America doesnt produce, only consumes

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If it not made in China its not American,get with the times.

Levis 501 are made in china, Nuff said.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Bell Helmets does their research and design in Santa Cruz, CA.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a thought. Thanks for the replies. Over the last year I've had some made in china products fail me, such as; floor jack, plastic gun case, bench vise and flood light. It irritated me, so I have been trying to buy made in the USA products this year. Very hard to do so I might add.

Anyone have experience with the Bell Moto 8 or the MX1 helmets? I haven't found a store here that stocks them yet. I tried on an O'neal(monster logo) and liked the fit, it was Snell M2010 made in China. I don't need one with fancy graphics or advertisement. Just camo or basic color would do.
thanks
Brett in Boise

Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Motorcycle Superstore has them and depending on whether color is more important than price, clearance items are at a good price.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brett68
Just a thought. Thanks for the replies. Over the last year I've had some made in china products fail me, such as; floor jack, plastic gun case, bench vise and flood light. It irritated me, so I have been trying to buy made in the USA products this year. Very hard to do so I might add.

Anyone have experience with the Bell Moto 8 or the MX1 helmets? I haven't found a store here that stocks them yet. I tried on an O'neal(monster logo) and liked the fit, it was Snell M2010 made in China. I don't need one with fancy graphics or advertisement. Just camo or basic color would do.
thanks
Brett in Boise
The problem is not "Made In China" the problem is if a company does not do quality control after that product was made in China. The problem is if the product is made in China, and sold by a Chinese company.

As long as the company does their quality control here in the USA all is good. I know most helmet companies assemble their products here in the USA even if the material is made in China.

Companies like Bell, Troy Lee, MSR, Six-Six-One, HJC etc...etc..... all make their helmets in China but they go through QC here in the USA.

FWIW I think Aria are still made in Japan. And I think Shoei are also made in Japan still....

TLD has their products made in China at an American run plant, so all QC is done by Americans and they are assembled in California.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

And regardless of where it's made, if it's sold in the US, it has to meet DOT standards (as low as they may be) at minimum. Snell and ECE ratings are what I'd recommend looking for.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys! I agree on the Q.C. part. For me the Snell rating gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that there is an extra layer of safety guarantee there. Appreciate the help..

Brett in Boise

Old 11-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Its difficult to find made in USA helmets. We Americans believe in building big things like big cars, big trucks, big harley bikes.....

Quick Reply: Helmet made in usa?