General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Replacement universal joins, JUNK???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement universal joins, JUNK???

So I have a 1991 Suzuki 250 2wd quadrunner with 25-11-10 maxxis Mudbugs on the back. I noticed my factory universal joints were getting a little loose so I replaced them with the universal kits you can get at your local parts store or ebay or where ever. I got mine from a local parts store. I went out riding and with less than and hour of ride time and less than 5 miles I was in a mud hole and heard a snap. Checked and all tires were still turning so I played alittle more then got pulled out. After that I started getting a very obvious clunking noise and it was obvious I had a snaped U joint. Come to find out I had broke both U joints on the left side of the 4 wheeler! next day I removed the left axle and drove around for a little bit with just the right wheel working and before I knew it, snap, broke another just playing around on hard pack. Yes I know it was not the smartest thing to do driving with just one drive wheel working but I am pretty sure that is besides the point and I couldnt pass up the opportunity.

My question is has anyone else had problems with these U joints? I pulled the axles off of a parts quad and the outer U joints were no good but only because the end caps wore out, not from the center section breaking. Is there any way to install these wrong that would cause problems like this. I think they're straight forward. Put them in with the caps and dont let a needle slip out of place, put the clip in on the inside. I aligned all the you joints just like the repair manual said to do. Otherwise just like U joints on a car, right? And it's not like I dont know what I'm doing, over the summer I had to replace the valves on the motor as the intake went out due to neglect from the previous owner. Everything works so if I can do that then I am bound to be able to replace U joints...

Here are some pictures and I accidently caught on video the part where I snaped the left side u joints. I know I was doging it but thats what these machines are made to do and like I said, my factory U joints were going out and I never even got close to breaking any of them.

Here is the video
YouTube - Suzuki 250 cratering new rear axle u joints

Left side middle part of axle
Name:  adda7a07.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  165.0 KB

left side
Name:  c845011e.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  102.1 KB

Right axle broke on the inner U joint
Name:  fbb47fc2.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  108.3 KB

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

WOW, they sure as hell look like cheap POS to me, no amount of install error is going to do THAT, well maybe but still.

Someone here MUST know where to get some Heavy Duty ones?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

just to update, I got a pair of outer Suzuki axles from ebay and robed the parts quad for the inside axles and rode them hard this weekend. 25 miles worth of jumping, mudding, and high speed driving on asphalt and absolutely no problems. So anyone thinking of putting Moose replacement U joints on their quad, especially their Suzuki Quadrunner, please think twice. It is worth the money for factory parts whether they are used or new.