General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Winch question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch question

New to the ATV scene, was wondering if any of the less expensive winches were of good quality, or should I just cough up the extra money for a Warn? I'm not a serious mudder, this will be used to drag a deer out of a spot I can't get my quad to. Ran into this problem just this hunting season, deer expired in a deep ditch and the winch on my friend's quad just made it so easy to get out versus trying to drag it out.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Some people will tell you the cheaper ones work and they usually will for most needs. But I for one have learned the hard way along with countless others if you want a winch to do more than just look pretty on your machine spend the extra money now or you will be doing it in the future. IMHO buy Warn or Ramsey or no winch at all!!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by welder1
Thanks. Most of the time, you get what you pay for.
Its not the buying that hurts its the labor that kills me LOL

Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

The warn winches come with a limited lifetime warranty. spend a little more and you definatelty get what you pay for.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont have a winch on my atv but I use a $49 chinese 1500lb winch from harbor freight on my trailor. Used it every day for 2 years to do anything from draging a non running car onto the trailor to draging a non rolling parts car out of a feild. NEVER let me down even once. I will never buy a $350 product when I can get the same thing for $49.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

+1. Gonna have to agree with JC. I installed an $80 2000lb Superwinch and I'm still trying to figure out how it would make sense for me to pay for a name at this point!? Cabelas (where I purchased it) carries a warranty and so does Superwinch. I've heard of Warns crappin' out, I've heard of no-name winches crappin' out. I think sometimes things just break! The more you use your winch, the more likely it's gonna break. Just like a car, the more miles it has, the more likely it is that somethings gonna go!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer
Exclamation Which Winch?

I cannot really argue with any of the above posts - they all have their points.

BUT!

An ATV usually NEEDS it's winch far into the woods with little to no help nearby.

The Warn winches have a stellar reputation. They do break down - but not often.

If the Chineese $40.00 winch breaks in the backyard loading your boat - no big deal, if it breaks 100 miles into a swamp - IT IS A BIG DEAL!

Consider the extra $100.00 for the Warn winch as an insureance policy - it may break but not as often, Play the odds.

Good Luck.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Range Rover

I have a Gorilla winch have used the cr@p out of it and no problems
so far.Like the man said you get what you pay for and I feel like I
got a lot for my moneys worth.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

"Consider the extra $100.00 for the Warn winch as an insureance policy - it may break but not as often, Play the odds."

I'd have spent an extra hundred bucks for a Warn...problem is I've never seen one for 180 bucks! Well, take that back, I have seen used ones through the local classifieds, except there's no odometer on them and no records of maintenance so I'll keep my distance from those...!

Quick Reply: Winch question