General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Snow plow lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Snow plow lift?

Hi all, I have ridden dirt bikes for years and just bought my first ATV. One of it's uses will be to plow our road - private subdvision, about 1 mile. The guy across from us has been doing it ( with a JD 4X4 tractor), but he is getting older and I either want to do it all or help out.

First big question: What plow lift to use? Winch, Warn Actuator, or manual?

Second, what brand, size and type of blade?

It's a very nice one owner TRX300 4X4. I live in the Midwest - Missouri. I'm thinking a Warn Cyclone 60" or the Warn Standard 54", and manual lift to keep it simple, and because I won't be raising and lowering the blade much, and I'm pretty healthy. Also, I have heard horror stories of winches ( and the Warn Actuator) not lasting very long. But, I'm open to suggestions, any advice appreciated!! Dean

Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Never used a manual lift. my warn winch has been lifting my plow for 8 yres now with out an issue,and as been used out on the trails. I also use a 60" plow thats worked great all these years as well. The ony reason a 54" plow or smaller would be good for are tight places or a really uneven pavement. The 60" tends to glide over the uneven areas leaving snow on the pavement. thats not a real big deal though. Your 300 4x4 would push the snow in low easily if you wanted a 60". You may need some wieght added to the racks if you start having trouble pushing though. I to live in missouri and so far we havent had a snow fall that couldnt be tackled. If you do get to the point your bike wont push the snow,just raise it up about 5-6 inches, push the snow,then come back and drop it all the way down and do it again. id also recomend a plow that lilts to one side or the other since your gonna be pushing it a mile. that way the snow wont build up in front of you.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Snow plow lift

Thanks MSF! What winch are you using? I'm thinking if I go that route, I'd get the 3,000 lb Warn instead of a lighter one - and use synthetic rope and a roller fairlead.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Warn XT30. Does a great job.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ive got a Moose snow blade on my ATV but I dont know the width as it was on there when I bought it. Its just a couple inches wider then the ATV on each side.

At any rate, Ive used a cheapy no name winch for many years (still using it) to raise and lower the blade.....as well as some light trail duty and yard work - its never given me a moments trouble. You can get a plenty usable winch for $100 or less that will lift your plow plenty easily. Of course by the time you buy a mount and fairlead you may have a few more dollars in it....either way that manual lift will start sucking in a hurry.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

First off, I think the 60" is a little big for the TRX300. I am orginally from Mo. and remember how wet and heavy the snow can get there. I would stay with the 54" or maybe even the 50".
Secondly, I have been using the Warm actuator for over 3 years now and the only problem I have had is replacing the cable every year. However this year I replaced it with a chunk of syn rope and has cured my problems. The benefit I see with the actuator is that it lifts alot higher than it would if I used the winch.

I have been living in Wyoming for the past 33 years and we get tons of snow. I went with the actuator, that way my winch isn't tied up with the plow, so if I get hung up in a drift I can use the winch to pull myself out.

I have been extremely pleased with my Warn 54" set-up. My neighbor has a Moose plow set-up and it is very filmsey, he has bent the egdes with only minor hits to curbs.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Definately get a winch with synthetic rope. The wire ones will fray due to the sharp angles. Anything 2.5 and above will work just fine. Get what your wallet will afford. As for blades, i have a Warn County plow. It works for me quite well. I also have the power pivot. Makes it real convenient so you don't have to get off to change blade angles. Recommend you add some weight to the blade as well. Some of them bounce around, and you need to keep it in contact with the ground. Also, you may want to consider chains for the rear tires. I think anything more than 54" may be too big for you.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I ordered the Warn 54" Cyclone with the Warn actuator. I am an Amazon Prime member, so I got free shipping, that helped. Can't wait to get it here and get it installed! Thanks for the input guys!