General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

What to take with you on the trail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 3_Polaris_ATVs
How long does it take to fill tire with the Slime pump? I was leaning toward a CO2 tire filler. Last trip out popped a tire off the bead. Think either of these would seat it back.
I have no idea. I imagine it would take awhile with the small compressor. I haven't had to use it yet so I'm not sure. I don't think it would give enough of an initial puff of air to seat a bead though. You'd probably need to run a ratchet strap around the tire and tighten it to push out the bead.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Another thing other than TP that I forgot to mention is some of the contractor strength trash bags. You can use them as a shelter in a pinch, a raincoat (cut arm and head holes), a tarp for working under your quad without getting too filthy, for trash, and for riders who have irritated you on your nice day out. JK

Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those small pumps work well for adding air to a tire. But to set a bead they will NOT work.
I always carry a small bottle of lighter fluid. I have used to set a bead on my trailer tire a couple of times.

Push the bead in so you can spray in some lighter fluid and make a trail with the fluid down the sidewall. Immediatly light it with a lighter and as the fluid inside the tire takes flame, POOF the bead sets. ( Keep hand and small children away from the lip of the rim and tire.)
Immediatly hit the valve stem with your little tire compressor to fill the tire and maintain the bead.
If the air is allowed to cool with out adding pressure, the pressure will drop and you will lose you bead again.

Whosever tire you just saved out on the trail should be feeding you beer out of his cooler for the rest of the ride.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Range Rover
Default what to take with you on the trail

Originally Posted by 09 popo HO
Those small pumps work well for adding air to a tire. But to set a bead they will NOT work.
I always carry a small bottle of lighter fluid. I have used to set a bead on my trailer tire a couple of times.

Push the bead in so you can spray in some lighter fluid and make a trail with the fluid down the sidewall. Immediatly light it with a lighter and as the fluid inside the tire takes flame, POOF the bead sets. ( Keep hand and small children away from the lip of the rim and tire.)
Immediatly hit the valve stem with your little tire compressor to fill the tire and maintain the bead.
If the air is allowed to cool with out adding pressure, the pressure will drop and you will lose you bead again.

Whosever tire you just saved out on the trail should be feeding you beer out of his cooler for the rest of the ride.
I took care of the tire bead issue by changing out my rims for racing bead lock rims. Very expensive investment ($800.00 + for a set of four rims) but if your worried about your tires its worth every cent spent. Many desert riders put the tire slime in their tires and keep it there just in case they run over a cactus or something.

FYI: on the work ATV's (Kawa KV700 Prairies) I had front tires going low from a leaking tire plug (cactus damage) so I used a can of plain old wal mart special flat tire repair, punched some in and the tires came right up and they have yet to lose the air out of them, so that may be something to think about for a quick field repair.

As for putting a tire back on its bead in the field water mixed with hand sanitizer (soap) will do the trick most of the time to get the bead to slide back on the rim (same stuff tire shops use to get car tire beads to set) and then a simple bicycle pump will put air back into the tire for those who don't have 12v power recepticles on their 2wd quads. Don't get me wrong its a lot of work to get the tire back on but it is do-able, but if your driving practices leave you that screwed out in the field with a tire knocked off its bead ya may want to re-visit your riding practices because it takes alot of side shift to fold a properly aired tire off its bead, along with that just suppose your moving fast enough (trust me 1st or better gear going anything past a crawl is fast enough) and if its a front tire the handle bar is going to snap over in the oposite direction of the suddenly flat tire followed by your next stop is the bike lying on top of you as the rim digs in and rolls the bike over.

I had a back tire let go on normal factory rims after a shrub root tore a half inch hole through it and I drove it two miles back to the garage and the bead never let go and the tire stayed up enough from side wall pressure to be drivable the whole way, it was slow going but it sure beat pushing the quad back, so in my opinion if your being that harsh on your ride that you rip a bead loose that is way to harsh of riding and opening yourself for one of those "It seemed like a good idea at the time stories"

Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

OK, I am officially old. I actually carry a real compass. All the time. Something comforting about knowing which way is back, which way is which etc. Also. multiple fire MO's. Matches, lighters (different kinds). Stiptic, I consider it a MUST. but hey, I am from surfer country and blood in the ocean is called chum. I NEVER do anything without my trusty old Leatherman. Seriously, it is not the best tool for anything, but it is an adequate tool for all that it does. The pliers and the knife are king. Mine has seen so many duties. Get one. A real one.

Garbage bags! Wipes. Twine. Tape (duct). A small (2 A) Mag-Light flashlight. A big same. I always have lanyard, back up shades (2 or 3) and Everclear. In plastic, but there none the less. Little stuff, sun screen (I don't use it personally, lip balm [nope]) are the things you may need personally. Papertowels? TP? Deep Woods Off? SNACKS!!!! Good ones. The kind that fill you up. I use a specific raw food bar that has a ton of protein per grams of fiber (not looking for fiber). These are good, but need plenty of H2O. You should have at least 5 or 6 in your pack.

Enjoy!! Sorry to ramble...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Range Rover
Default what do you take

Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450
OK, I am officially old. I actually carry a real compass. All the time. Something comforting about knowing which way is back, which way is which etc. Also. multiple fire MO's. Matches, lighters (different kinds). Stiptic, I consider it a MUST. but hey, I am from surfer country and blood in the ocean is called chum. I NEVER do anything without my trusty old Leatherman. Seriously, it is not the best tool for anything, but it is an adequate tool for all that it does. The pliers and the knife are king. Mine has seen so many duties. Get one. A real one.

Garbage bags! Wipes. Twine. Tape (duct). A small (2 A) Mag-Light flashlight. A big same. I always have lanyard, back up shades (2 or 3) and Everclear. In plastic, but there none the less. Little stuff, sun screen (I don't use it personally, lip balm [nope]) are the things you may need personally. Papertowels? TP? Deep Woods Off? SNACKS!!!! Good ones. The kind that fill you up. I use a specific raw food bar that has a ton of protein per grams of fiber (not looking for fiber). These are good, but need plenty of H2O. You should have at least 5 or 6 in your pack.

Enjoy!! Sorry to ramble...
Wife carrys the TP in the well under her seat, My bike does not have a storage area..I also still carry my military compass at work when I walk the desert to back up my GPS.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

One of my reasons in buying the Sportsman X2 instead of an Arctic Cat or Can-Am (both good quads in my mind) was the amount of storage under the front rack. I can fit everything I mentioned except the Slime air compressor in the front box. It's a great feature to me.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

During our first ride out someone in our group rolled their Grizzly and popped a bead. Another rider had a small compressor and it actually set the bead right there on the trail. I would suggest spending a few extra bucks to get a decent compressor over the cheapest. A little money might save a lot of time and aggravation on the trail.

Also don't forget to throw in a supply of wire ties.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Wasn't there an air attachment you put in place of your spark plug? If you have a machine where the plug is easily accessed that would probobly seat a bead.

A couple things that can be help to get the bead close to the rim are a ratchet strap around the tire and tightened up a bit. And something to make the bead and rim a little more slippery. Some liquid hand soap is wonderful or water and if you have to a little oil or even some pee-pee.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Wasn't there an air attachment you put in place of your spark plug? If you have a machine where the plug is easily accessed that would probobly seat a bead.

A couple things that can be help to get the bead close to the rim are a ratchet strap around the tire and tightened up a bit. And something to make the bead and rim a little more slippery. Some liquid hand soap is wonderful or water and if you have to a little oil or even some pee-pee.
Your right I forgot about the strap or even a piece of strong rope anything that can be attached to the center of the tread area then compress the tire to close the tire rubber bead in the rim for a seal so the air can inflate the tire. After that the best way to inflate the tire is a goood old bicycle pump.

If you have been to Alaska or know anyone from Alaska ask them about cold flats..I became the king of reseting beads on truck tires with a rachet strap and a bicycle pump and a little dish soap when I lived up there. Start to finish once you got the hang of it, it took maybe 15 minutes once the tire was off and on the ground before you were back up and on your way...

As an ATV rider if your that worried about breaking a bead why don't you just cut to the chase and have tire tubes put in, fill them with slim and then you don't have to worry about everything else.

Quick Reply: What to take with you on the trail?