General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Helmets

Does anyone use a Motorcycle helmet when riding their ATV?
I like the motorcycle helmets being that it has the full slide-up/down windshield instead of the google. What are the pros/cons with using motorcycle helmets vs the traditional ATV helmets? Any advise, thoughts, etc, are appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I myself don't, but have seen others post in here that they do. Unless you buy a more expensive lightweight helmet, the weight would be an issue with me. Also it gets pretty toasty here in the summer, so having a little more air on the face feels pretty good.

You could also look at snowmobile helmets, but I personally have never tried one. Don't know if they're any warmer than a street bike helmet or not.

Any helmet is better than no helmet.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

personally, i use a motocross helmet by HJC with Scott goggles. it's vented fairly well. i ride a lot on public lands, so the state/feds mandate you wear a helmet. even when i ride on private lands, i still wear a helmet. my kids are 16/20 and they wear them also. they've seen what a 4" branch done to me and my old helmet. they're believers now! if i get too hot while riding, i stop, take the helmet off, & hydrate. it'd be time for a break anyway! like Scootergptx said, "any helmet is better than no helmet"! just get one that's comfortable, it could save your life!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

I wear a Snell DOT Moto helmet and Scott goggles because they are made to fit over my glasses. It also gets rather toasty here and the Moto helmet has good air flow to keep at least some of the sweat from dripping off your nose.

Like anything else its a matter of preference. in the colder areas of the states where your in the mud and snow maybe a full face helmet is a good buy; however, down south here in the Mojave desert I would not want to wear a full face motorcycle helmet unless I'm riding on the street its just too dirty and hot playing in the sand.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

I use an HJC SY MAX 2, flip-up. So far, I love it, especially the internal rotating sun visor and the venting.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Son and a friend wear the full face. They still get dust up under the helmet in the dry riding. Nice in the winter time to keep the wind off your face. I use a half helmet because of my fat head. I bought a full face but my cheeks were getting squeezed in a 3xl.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

Shamefully admitting I HATE both moto and full face helmets. Moto is far, far less annoying, but still very annoying. My daughter wears a moto and likes it, and I'm happy about that. I wear a full helmet but open face. There is a real difference in safety. I understand that, either of the "closed" face designs are much better. I just hate having stuff in front of my face like that. When I was younger I used the open face with the half visor type of design. That was OK. Now I use goggles. I think I liked the visor better. I don't mind so much for hard riding, like when you might put on the chest protector, but when using the quad (ute) for work on the property, I just hate the heat and restriction and everything. BUT I STILL wear my helmet if I am even pulling the trailer or hauling a downed tree out of the woods to be cleared. Key goes into the ignition, helmet goes on... PERIOD. I have seen many TBI's, not with just ATV's of course, but still.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

I prefer the motocross style helmet. I use a HJC Matrix. I got in a crash Memorial Day weekend and it doesn't have a scratch on it. Only thing wrong with it is the visor cracked off.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

I was using a motorcycle helmet 7 years ago. I was on an overgrown trail and a small branch flipped my visor open and stuck in between my eye and socket. I got lucky. No damage.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 3_Polaris_ATVs
I was using a motorcycle helmet 7 years ago. I was on an overgrown trail and a small branch flipped my visor open and stuck in between my eye and socket. I got lucky. No damage.
Uggh, that is pretty graphic. Glad you didn't have permanent damage.

Quick Reply: ATV Helmets