General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tires

Just bought a 210 Sportsman 550 XP EPS for plowing, among other things. It's my first quad and I'm thinking the stock tires aren't going to cut it for plowing and deep snow riding. Does anyone have experience in deep snow that can recommend tires? No, I can't afford them tracks!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Tires

I would suggest that you just get some chains for the plowing...I plowed 30 inches of snow in February this year with mudlite ATs...no traction trouble and that was without chains...I don't ride in the snow without the plow attached however because I get tired of digging out...seems that I bottom out before the traction really becomes an issue.....once sitting on bottom no tire will pull you out....good luck with your decision and nice quad!!!

mudslinger2

Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

I purchased my 2009 800 X2 for snow plowing back in February. I plowed a commercial parking lot covered in 14" of snow with 2 foot drifts. This was done the day I bought it using the stock tires and a Polaris 60" Glacier II plow. It took me 6 hours to do it but it didn't get stopped once while pushing.

The only time I got stuck and had to dig it out was when I tried to rid over a snow pile and the plow frame got caught. Then when trying to rock it out I managed to high center it and had all 4 tires spinning in the air. Disconnected the plow from the front and dug my way out.

Also, don't try to angle a straight blade in anything more than about 6" of snow. Once that pile builds up in front of you the quad starts to slide sideways off the pile. I found it easier to just do a couple passes with the blade straight and then go back and clean up with the blade fully angled.

This was a parking lot that I normally do with a truck but the truck was broken down at the time.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

OK, I am new here and have not even plowed yet. But, logistically, I don't understand something. Why wouldn't the tread design of something like mudlights simple eat up tire chains, especialy tire cables (I'll call them that, very common)? The extruded vs recessed tire tread ratios seem significant enough to handle the job and eliminate the need for "chains." It looks like the chains would get lost/burried in the tread?

Lost? Maybe. Confused? Mostly!