General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Resealing a stell gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resealing a stell gas tank

I have a gas tank from a street bike. Inside the tank it basically looks like whatever factory film was in there is sheeting and flaking off. It is a 1978 Suzuki GS750. A local radiator shop quoyted me $80 on the phone to clean the inside. Then I could do a reseal or they could do it for additonal money. Well when they saw the tank they said it would need 3 or 4 cleaning treatments - not just one. Wanted $240 and there is no guarantee the paint won't be damaged.

There's a sweet sunset red over gold metallic paint job on there I don't want ruined. This is one of my old bikes from my younger days and the whole project has some sentimental value to me. I've pretty much gone thru all the mechanicals and fired her up after about 15 years of sitting.

So who has cleaned them out themselves? I am leaning towards a couple pounds of drywall screws and BBs in the tank, wrap the tank up in something like a sleeping bag and securely tape and tumble in the dryer with no heat. Probobly several steps, filtering out the chips from my "media" in between.

Then reseal it.

I want a good end result because I definately don't want to have to repeatedly pull the jets and clean out the carbs because stuff is coming from the tank.

Maybe adding a screen type fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea either atleast for awhile after the tank is put back in service.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'd check with your local bodyshop and see if they would give you a couple pounds of media blasting *****. And your idea of running a filter afterward? I won't run anything without a filter. Just a little insurance IMO.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

I had a old 200s Honda three Wheeler that had sat for years the tank was full of rust so I tried this stuff and it worked great!! I would also recommend using the BB'S idea you mentioned along with this item check it out. tank repair