General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

anyone else experience this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:36 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone else experience this problem?

Within 5 minutes of riding- my right hand and fingers start tingling, and another 2 minutes later my right hand is almost numb. Only started doing this about 2 years ago, but now it happens every time I hop on my atv for longer then 5 minutes. Sometimes it gets pretty painful in the wrist. I have to constantly shake my hand to alleviate it.

I'm not gripping the bars with any unnecessary force and I don't wear riding gloves (I find gloves give me blisters quicker then not wearing them)

Anyone else ever experience these sensations?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there done that. Found out I was out of alignment and pinching a nerve when my arms were at riding position. After a few sessions with the local back cracker, problem solved. Something to consider.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

And your age is ?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Butlerboy
And your age is ?
36- but what's my age have to do with it ???

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

BG- The poster is asking for good reason, I hate to say. Not a likely scenario, but numbness in the arm/hand/shoulder area can be a sign of a real and dangerous problem. If you said 18 I'm sure the reaction would be different. There are easy and simple tests to determine if the pump is causing the low circulation or if it is even low circulation at all. Probably not, with no other synptoms. I had a very similiar problem in my right leg years ago. Shooting numbness. Doc laughed at that description, but totally accurate. Wound up in arch supports. No, not random things, but molded by a Podiatric Surgeon supports. Still wear them every day. If I could have them made in porcelain and welded into the shower I would. Spot on answer. Eliminated other nagging issues too. Anyway, think about it. I don't want to be negative, so I am sorry if this comes off wrong. Quads cause compressions. Just went through that too. I ride hard. Other than a dirt bike, there really isn't much you can do more pointedly harsh than a quad. Best.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

im 30 and i get the numbness in my thumb too. just the right hand thumb. i figured its b/c im putting pressure on it in some odd way when i use the throttle. My friend said the same thing about his the other day. no figure,we work together and have the same issues. At one point i couldn't hold a 12 once soda can with out my elbow giving out. Im fine now but my friend had the same problem and had surgery on his. With our jobs we are always twisting our arms and wrist while sometimes pushing up. Well,We fix damaged hail cars,(PDR). Guess our joints are getting wore out with the constant pressure and odd movements.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Beergut. If I remember right you went from a BF to a PoPo to a CanAm. My son let me ride his CanAm Renegade a couple miles up at Jericho Lake ATV Park and I noticed the CanAm throttle, even though it's fuel injected, is a lot stiffer than the Polaris thumb throttle. You might try getting one of those thumb extensions to make it easier. Could also be carpal tunnel. Had that for awhile long ago. Not pleasent. What has your doctor told you?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Been there done that. Found out I was out of alignment and pinching a nerve when my arms were at riding position. After a few sessions with the local back cracker, problem solved. Something to consider.
Same thing has been happening to me just no time to go get adjusted regularly.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default happens all the time

I am 31 and it has been happening to me for years. Doc said i have pinched nerves in my wrist probably from being a mechanic and beating on wrenches. Also the massage therapists fixed it up he said it was largely due to overworking my chest and arms at work and not working my back to even out the pressure. try this; if you feel it coming on like when driving or riding and you have a break, whatever side is going numb lift your arm up and level with your shoulder and push backwards against something like a wall or headrest in a car. hold that while you count to ten then release. repeat three times the contraction of your back will cause your chest to relax and allow circulation to flow again. Hope that helps, if it does at least you didn't have to spend 60 dollars an hour to find out.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

I was just at my cardiologist last week for heart palps- they did echo-cardiogram, ekg, blood work and a stress test- They said my heart looks fine. I called my primary care today and he said it sounds like carpal tunnel and also said it could be a pulled muscle or a back issue...

I was a mechanic also for many years- my knees, back & hands took a beating. Maybe look into surgury? I heard that carpal surgury takes months to heal- If that's the case, I'll do it in november after the autum riding season (my favorite time to ride!) If I release the grip and shake my hand for a few seconds, it helps- but it's painful and annoying, and only with my right hand...

(moosehenden: Beergut. If I remember right you went from a BF to a PoPo to a CanAm

now you're embarrasing me- because soon to be an outty max 800 - I'm looking into the extender right now- I wonder how the twist conversion throttles are on atv's. Not sure if that's a good idea on an atv where you spend more time over rough terrain.

Atleast now I have a valid excuse for when my wife catches me surfing the "massage services" on craigslist

-

Quick Reply: anyone else experience this problem?